Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sandflies

Re: Sandflies

Comparative Efficacy of Insect Repellents against Mosquito Bites
    Mark S. Fradin, M.D. and John F. Day Ph.D.

Abstract Results Background. The worldwide threat of arthropod transmitted diseased, with their associated morbidity and mortality, underscores the need for effective insect repellents. Multiple chemical, botanical, and "alternative" repellent products are marketed to consumers. We sought to determine which products provide reliable and prolonged complete protection from mosquito bites.

Methods. We conducted studies involving 15 volunteers to test the relative efficacy of seven botanical insect repellents; four products containing N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide (DEET); a repellent containing IR3535; three repellent impregnated wristbands and a moisturizer that is commonly claimed to have repellent effects. These products were tested in a controlled laboratory environment.

Results. DEET based products provided complete protection for the longest duration. Higher concentrations of DEET provided longer-lasting protection. A formulation containing 23.8 percent DEET had an average complete protection time of 301.5 minutes. The IR3535 based repellent protected for an average of 22.9 minutes.

Of the products tested, those containing DEET provided the longest lasting protection. The complete protection times of DEET based repellents correlated positively with the concentration of DEET in the
    repellent. The formulation containing 23.8% DEET protected for an average of 301.5 minutes.

There was a statistically significant difference in complete protection time between each DEET based repellent and the product with the next higher concentration of DEET. The IR3535-based repellent protected against mosquito bites for an average of 22.9 minutes.The citronella based repellent we tested protected for 20 minutes or less.

There was no significant difference in protection time between the slow-release formulation containing 12% citronella and the formulation containing 5% citronella or the two formulations containing 10% citronella. The repellent containing only 0.05% citronella provided less protection than the Skin-So- Soft mineral-oil-based moisturizer.

Repellent impregnated wristbands, containing either 9.5% DEET or 25% citronella (by weight), protected the wearer on average, for only 12 to 18 seconds. In our study, 11 of the 12 non-DEET products had complete protection times of less than 23 minutes.
    All other botanical repellents we tested provided protection for an average duration of less than 20 minutes. Repellent-impregnated wristbands offered no protection.

Conclusions. Currently available non-DEET repellents do not provide protection for durations similar to those of DEET-based repellents and cannot be relied on to provide prolonged protection in environments where mosquito-borne diseases are a substantial threat.
    INSECT-TRANSMITTED disease remains a major source of illness and death worldwide. Mosquitoes alone transmit disease to more than 700 million persons annually. Malaria kills 3 million persons each year, including 1 child every 30 seconds. In many circumstances, applying repellent to the skin may be the only feasible way to protect against insect bites. Given that a single bite from an infected arthropod can result in transmission of disease, it is important to know which repellent products can be relied on to provide predictable and prolonged protection from insect bites. Commercially available insect repellents can be divided into two categories # synthetic chemicals and plant derived essential oils. The best known chemical insect repellent is N,N- diethyl-m-toluamide (DEET). Many consumers, reluctant to apply DEET to their skin, deliberately seek out other repellent products. We compared the efficacy of readily available alternatives to DEET based repellents in a controlled laboratory environment.

Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil
    , which consumers commonly claim has a repellent effect on insects, provided only a mean of 9.6 minutes of protection against aedes bites in our study. This extremely limited repellent effect has previously been documented in other studies. Thousands of plants have been tested as potential botanical sources of insect repellent. Most plant-based insect repellents currently on the market contain essential oils from one or more of the following plants: citronella, cedar, eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass and geranium.
    All botanical repellents that we tested in our initial studies, regardless of their active ingredients and formulations, gave very short lived protection, ranging from a mean of about 3 to 20 minutes. Most alternatives to topically applied repellents have proved to be ineffective. No ingested compound, including garlic & thiamine (vitamin B1), has been found to be capable of repelling biting arthropods. Small, wearable devices that emit sounds that are purported to be abhorrent to biting mosquitoes have also been proved to be ineffective. In our study, wristbands impregnated with either DEET or citronella similarly provided no protection from bites, consistent with the known inability of repellents to protect beyond 4 cm from the site of application.

Multiple factors play a part in determining how effective any repellent will be. These factors include the species of the biting organisms and the density of organisms in the immediate surroundings: the user's age, sex, level of activity, and biochemical attractiveness to biting arthropods; and the ambient temperature, humidity and wind speed. As a result, a given repellent will not protect all users equally. Examination of the ranges of complete protection times shows variation in the ability of each repellent to protect different subjects. Our study shows that only products containing DEET offer long-lasting protection after a single application.
    DISCUSSION

Protection against arthropod bites is best achieved by avoiding infested habitats, wearing protective clothing and applying insect repellent. The insect repellents that are currently available to consumers are either synthetic chemicals or are derived from plants. The most widely marketed chemical based insect repellent is DEET, which has been used worldwide since 1957. DEET is a broad spectrum repellent that is effective against many species of mosquitoes, biting flies, fleas and ticks. The protection provided by DEET is proportional to the logarithm of the dose: higher concentrations of DEET provide longer-lasting protection.

Most commercially available repellent formulations contain 40% DEET or less, and the higher concentrations are most appropriate to use under circumstances in which the biting pressures are intense, the risk of arthropod transmitted disease is great, or environmental conditions promote the rapid loss of repellent from the surface of the skin. In our study, a formulation containing 23.8 percent DEET provided an average of five hours of complete protection against A. aegypti bites after a single application. Depending on the formulation and concentration tested, DEET based repellents have been shown in other studies to provide complete protection against arthropod bites for as long as 12 hours, even under harsh climatic conditions.

Certain plant derived repellents may provide short lived efficacy. Frequent reapplication of these repellents would partially compensate for their short duration of action. However, when one is travelling to an area with prevalent mosquito-borne disease that could be transmitted through a single bite, the use of non-DEET repellents would seem ill advised.

Given our findings, we cannot recommend the use of any currently available non-DEET repellent to provide complete protection from arthropod bites for any sustained outdoor activity.

Although this study shows that DEET based products can be depended on for long-lasting protection, they are not perfect repellents. DEET may be washed off by perspiration or rain, and its efficacy decreases with rising outdoor temperatures.

DEET Safety, despite the substantial attention paid by the lay press every year to the safety of DEET, this repellent has been subjected to more scientific and toxicologic scrutiny than any other repellent substance. The extensive accumulated toxicologic data on DEET have been reviewed elsewhere. DEET has a remarkable safety profile after 40 years of use and nearly 8 billion human applications. Fewer than 50 cases of serious health effects have been documented in the medical literature since 1960, and three quarters of them resolved without sequelae. Many of these cases involved long-term, heavy, frequent or whole-body application of DEET. No correlation has been found between the concentration of DEET used and the risk of toxic effects. As part of the Re-registration Eligibility Decision on DEET, released in 1998, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reviewed the accumulated data on the toxicity of DEET and concluded that "normal use of DEET does not present a health concern to the general population". When applied with common sense, DEET based repellents can be expected to provide a safe as well as a long-lasting repellent effect.

Until a better repellent becomes available, DEET based repellents remain the gold standard of protection under circumstances in which it is crucial to be protected against arthropod bites that might transmit disease.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

For those interested, Bushmans now has 80% deet.

Since 1990 Bushman Insect Repellent has been protecting outdoor professionals, sporting enthusiasts and overseas travellers from blood-seeking, disease carrying Insects.

Repels: Mosquitoes · Sandflies · Midges · Leeches ·

Sand Fleas · No-See-Ums · Marchflies · Horseflies · Stableflies · Blackflies · Bird Lice · Ticks · Gnats ·

Fleas .........

With up to 15 hours* protection from one single application, Bushman stands out as the most effective, longest lasting insect repellent available. It even feels great and smells nice, making Bushman very user friendly. Made in Australia, Bushman Repellents are now exported to 24 Countries. For maximum protection from mosquito borne diseases such as Malaria, Ross River Fever, Dengue Fever, West Nile Fever and Eastern Equine Encephalitis...
    There is only one choice…
    Bushman Insect Repellent
    Proven Safe and Effective since 1990

*Independent Laboratory Tests (click here)

Anybody who has the constant dreary and expensive task of treating their kids for head lice as I do, will welcome the fact that a light spraying of bushmans will not only eradicate head lice, but if you put a light spray on the school cap, will also prevent re-infestation.

$11 @ BCF for the gel...............order online @ bushmans and they're only $8 each if you buy 2............as little as $7.15 depending on how many you buy. even with freight a substantial saving can be made if you buy bulk.

http://www.bushman-repellent.com/cartoons.htm

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 22-11-2007 at 02:33 PM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

My non reflective brothers from hopevale up the cape use a couple of crushed korms of grasstree smoking on coals at either end of the campsite all the time which works a treat.

Explaining to the parkies is allways another issue though, unless you're camping with a non reflective brother (G'day uncle eddie).

I've tried the 80% DEET bushmans. I thought the mozzies/sandies stung less. I could feel it burning my skin.

Regular Bushmans or tropical strength aeroguard work for me.

I repect all of your posts Kev, but a survey of 15 people probably isn't a big enough sample population. Different people get atacked differently by these mongrels. Unforunately for me, they love me.

Ausfish Bronze Member

Can someone tell me how I can collect my DNA, blood and genes? I could make a fortune selling my "stuff". For some reason beyond my understanding, I am totaly immune to sand flies. I have been fishing in my kayak where the sandies have been as thick as a woollen blanket with no effect to me. I have had my bare arms grey in colour from the masses of sandies. I just wet my free hand and wiped them off then did the same to the other arm. I can scratch like a dog for a few minutes if they get real bad (?) and then its all back to normal (huh??). I come home and there's not a mark on me. I can sympathize with you fellas though, my wife has need of the family doctor if more than a few sandies bite her. She has had some success using "Parraderm" on the bites but it takes her a while to heal. Mossies on the other hand turn me into a screaming maniac in one minute. Give me sandies any day, (sigh).
    Joe

The little buggers used to love me then I read on a similar post some time back to use 1/3 dettol 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 tea tree oil. Thats pure tea tree oil not the diluted stuff its a bit expensive but the mix lasts for a fair while. Since using it I hardly ever get biten.
    Cheers Dave.

x2 on the Bushmans Gel.
    I use it when we go to the Gulf and they are bloody thick up there!
    the gel works so much better than the spray and doesn't make you sneeze like hell when your mates use it up wind!
    I find after applying it 2 or 3 times it will last a few days before its effest wears off.

Got eaten alive in september at Tinnanbar.Never used to be a problem for me but the wife and kids used to get bitten my turn this time.
    By the time we got home I was being driven insane by the itch all my limbs were red and swollen no individual bites just one red mass.Tried a dozen of those stop itch remedies bloody waste of money.
    Couple of Nurses I know told me to use vinegar thought what the hell cant hurt INSTANT RELIEF just soaked a washcloth in the vinegar and wiped myself over every time the itch started up again by the morning swelling was down and the bites themselves were getting smaller.
    Got a bit more appreciation for the misery little bities can cause now!

Hi Big_Dave

I reckon the original mix was 1/3 detol, 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 metho which is not expensive and works on fish hook scratches and as a disinfectant as well. As I recall the tea tree oil was a later addition and the amount was a lot less than a 1/3 of the pure stuff. Worth adding but probably only as a "glug' for extra insurance.

No doubt that the pure tea tree oil works to take the sting and swelling out of bites at least on me, if I have neglected to put the repelant on.

At home the blue light bug catchers are working a treat. Light attracts, fan blows them on to the water with a few drops of dish detergent and they drown and then get fed to the "pet" bream. After 6 weeks the midge population is down and the bream are getting tame; still won't take a hook but they luv moths and insects.

Happy New year
    Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

The notion that exposure to sandfly bites affords a measure of respite from the itch is contrary to my own experience.
    When i was a small child my dad drove the Bribie barge, and we lived at Toorbul point.
    I was so badly bitten by sandflies I developed blood poisoning and was wrapped in gauze bandages from fingertips to toes.
    I still break out in huge welts if I am bitten and the lump and itch lasts for days even weeks.
    Cheers
    rando