Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furuno Fcv585 Sounder Question?

Furuno Fcv585 Sounder Question?

Hi Does Anybody Have Or Now How Good The New 585 Sounder Performs And Should I Mount It Using The Transom Mount Transducer Or Wet Box It ? Any Feedback Is Appreciated Thanks Cr

Re: Furuno Fcv585 Sounder Question?

The FCV-585 is an excellent fishfinder. If fact it is one of the best on the market right now. I would recommend the 527ID-IHD in-hull transducer over the transom mount. The 1kw power is going to out perform that of the 600w transom mount. There is a 1kw transom mount (525TID-TMD) but it is not made to be used while running up on plane it is only recommended use is trolling.

Neil - Scuba Steve's Marine

I am running the 585 with M260(wetbox) 1kw transducer... hard to beat this setup. Only downfall is you don't have temp with the wetbox setup

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

hi garry this will be my second sounder in the boat as i have a koden 1kw wet box setup in there now, ive got got the new 585 and would like to tri it before i remove the other one, i know ill like it! so the questions are whilst both are in the boat in operation will they interfere with each other? i assume they will and if this isnt a good idea do you think i could use my existing airmar 1kw transducer in the new furuno? i know the plug maybe different and who would know how to reconfigure the wiring to suit? i would love to compare the two together to find out what ive been missing out on. thanks jim

I have a wetbox for my 620 and have a lot of trouble finding bottom. Sometimes it depends on the lean of the boat as in it does not read on the plane on the way out, but holds bottom on the way in. The only reason I went to all the trouble of cutting holes in my floor to go a wet box was that I thought it would be better than a transom mount, but is actually worse for me. At least if it was transom mount I could adjust it. But with a through hull, the only way to adjust that is to cut more holes.

Cheech, have you contacted furuno(taylors) to ensure you have the sounder set up correctly.. 1 small setting made a huge difference on my 585.

Dave You might try emailing Airmar to see if they can supply an adapter cable
    Garry

What adjustment was that Garry ? Always keen to fine tune mine

Garry, I am not sure what they could suggest. I measured the deadrise with a protractor, chose a location approx 1m from the stearn on the starboard side about 400mm from the keel that is not behind anything and is flat and smooth both sides. Then I used mineral oil (baby oil) to fill it. It seems to be perfectly set up and located. That is what is so frustrating about it.

It is an airmar and has degree settings to match the deadrise, and the top of the unit is parallel with the floor so I am sure it is level.

I thought it may have been the way I was adjusting the sounder. So had a trip to the banks about a month ago and Mark (SeaSaw) came along and had a play with it, but that did not really improve it either.

I suppose I can ring them and ask. Is almost at the point of getting another transducer.

Cheech

I had to change the TVG setting from low to medium... made a huge difference in power output.. had to turn the gain back heaps. Also had to put interference to Auto.. a little it of clutter and colour erase and it worked heaps better
    Garry

Guys,
    Had a furuno 585 fitted last week. It has through hull airmar 600w trans.The original lowrance had airmar but was a p19, i think 359watts max.
    Question is , and looking for advice please,
    run boat today out of Rudy Maas for test and old sounder would read claerly at 25knts. Just not enough power in deep water.
    My new furuno picked up bottom ok but every now and again the rolling picture seemed to miss a beat.
    Have you had anything like this as I run it in auto and then tried manual mode. Not sure of how to use it properly but welcome any advice.
    Wayne

wayne , check your pm's
    mark

Thanks Garry. I will give it a go.

Try it in manual with the gain turned up-with mine I go up to 90-95% and problem is gone.Hope this helps.It is a great unit and despite what some people will say you have the right transducer.Hope this helps

cheers
    greg

Larfin, When your in manual try the TVG on medium... bet you wont get the gain past 5 The tvg make major changes to the output power

Garry

Thanks Garry I will give it a go next time out