Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Furuno Fcv585 Sounder Question?

Re: Furuno Fcv585 Sounder Question?

Thanks guys for the input.

New bells and whistles so sorting it out. Will adjust and see how it changes things
    Regards
    Wayne

Hi guys,
    You have all probably checked this but you need to make sure your in hull ducer is shooting through solid fiberglass. If you are trying to shoot through a hull that has a core of wood or flotation foam it will not work properly.

Good Luck!

Jim I am using the 1kW Transom Mount. It is working great for me. I tried to do everying right so I have my transducer cable as the only thing going up the port side and all my power wires are on the starboard side. I am a big one for using full manual everything but so far I have been impressed by the amount of gain the Furuno gives me in Fishing mode. Just right. I still prefer my JRC I had in the 702 Signature for a couple of reasons. I just wanted 1kW this time. It will be great if JRC bring out a new model to compete with the 585. More functions can be accessed by the buttons on the front of the JRC without having to go into menus and I have this gut feeling the JRC discriminates fish better. I am finding the zoom nearly a waste of time for me with the 585. It has that many pixels that what I see in the top to bottom view is replicated in the split screen view. I am still trying to learn the colours and what sort of species they are. The Furuno seems more blockier than the JRC which seems to smooth things out and make more arches. I get the typical Furuno old style colour blocks rather than nice fish arches. I think it is better than the older CRT Koden I was running in my last plate boat.

Here are some typical shows I am fishing.

Last edited by Smithy; 10-11-2007 at 11:00 AM.

good bit of reading their smithy,
    is there a reason that you prefer to run in zoom mode rarther than
    setting the range and moving the shift ?? i was finding that running in zoom mode on reef that had some drop offs ect. that it was had to get a picture above the bottom as the screen was dropping away and you couldnt get a picture
    to show any fish above the bottom. i have the 620 so you may not get that proublem with the bigger screen ?? i have changed to the range and shift and
    havent looked back.
    cheers dale
    will be interested to hear your thoughts rob.

By the look of those zoom pics I reckon you'd be missing bottom lock too.
    Last edited by jigsnreels; 11-11-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Yeh Dale haven't bothered with it on the Furuno. Like I was sort of getting at, I am not really gaining anything by running in split screen zoom as I have an awesome amout of pixels at my discretion and can see myself just using the top to bottom view until my eyesight fails. I keep going into the menu and changing the manual range settings to make the most of the pixels though. Everything just seemed so much easier on the JRC without having to go through menus. Also Dale, you know me, I always want one top to bottom view on my sounder at any given time in case I ran through a bait ball or mark a high school of Cobia or something. I have never really been a bottom lock person either, even with the JRC. I did do a day with Outsider Skip and he ran on bottom lock which was good when the fish were scarce and hugging the bottom but have never felt the need to do it myself. With rough bottom, all I do is bump up the zoom range for the zoom window so I am not having to move the zoom marker up and down as much. I will be interested to see what JRC bring out in a 1kw unit to compete against the 585. I bought the 585 purely on it being a 1kw unit over another JRC. Pity I didn't have a bigger budget for a JRC JFC-130 or something.

thanks rob, i get what you mean now, out in 90m with the
    620 you have to make the adjustments as you need a magnifying
    glass to see the fish out of the bottom.

thanks dale

more importantly, did you catch a few off those shows.

Nope pretty quiet actually. Trevally off the top show which are the bigger fish I am guessing around the marker zoom bar at 52m. I missed an awesome show of AJs at the Hards the other week. We just fished them, no time for pics!

Just a quick question smithy ,i have a 620 i t has the temp range the same as yours but how do you bring up the up to date temp in the box that i see on yours were it reads 20degrees and 23.8 degrees or is that a feature only available on the 585 thanks ...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by captain rednut View Post
    hi garry this will be my second sounder in the boat as i have a koden 1kw wet box setup in there now, ive got got the new 585 and would like to tri it before i remove the other one, i know ill like it! so the questions are whilst both are in the boat in operation will they interfere with each other? i assume they will and if this isnt a good idea do you think i could use my existing airmar 1kw transducer in the new furuno? i know the plug maybe different and who would know how to reconfigure the wiring to suit? i would love to compare the two together to find out what ive been missing out on. thanks jim

Have you looked to see if a matching box can be installed?????

Outer Edge.

I have both the 585 with wet box ducer and a cheaper navman sounder with a transom mount ducer.

FOr some reason, I hold bottom much better with my cheaper transom mounted ducer/navman setup.

Can anyone advise why i cannot pick up bottom well when underway with the 585?

SPlash

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I have both the 585 with wet box ducer and a cheaper navman sounder with a transom mount ducer.

FOr some reason, I hold bottom much better with my cheaper transom mounted ducer/navman setup.

Can anyone advise why i cannot pick up bottom well when underway with the 585?

SPlash
    transducer position/setup , maybe turbulence around the transducer

thanks smithy ive just installed the 585 today and ready for the mooloolaba gamefish tournament, i cant wait to try it, i had the same sliding transom bracket and the same transducer as yours now in a wetbox due to too much turbelance and too wet? anyway i now have a spare transom brkt for sale? see ya on the water thanks jim

i got my tvg on high
    deepgain on about 12
    dont worry about 50khrtz
    i can travell about 64klm and reads great
    only use auto when driving to destination

pete

I am in the process of getting one with one of these http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo...%20B164_PR.pdf
    so not only should it have a better reading then the inhull, it won't have anything hanging off the transom creating turbulence.