Thread: 3.8m tinnie fishing off Townsville. help for hotspots pls.

3.8m tinnie fishing off Townsville. help for hotspots pls.

Have just purchased a little tinnie and have fished the ross but am now looking at heading into the deep blue sea. Obviously my boat is only small so am looking for some good spots pretty close. I am heading out from the doorey street boat ramp and any advice would be awesome.

Re: 3.8m tinnie fishing off Townsville. help for hotspots pls.

Mate try trolling the rockwalls or heading across to crocy and alligator creeks there are some nice weedbeds of these creeks for mackeral in winter you could also go inside the cape but be very careful doing any of this as a 3.8m tinny is not very big keep a good eye on the weather and look for 5-10 knot days
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Taking a 3.8 metre tinny out on to Cleveland Bay is a big risk. It blows up in no time and is subject to big movement in a shallow bay.

I agree about the Ross River. It is a poor fishery.

Instead of going out into the bay, you'd be much better off heading south a bit to The Burdekin area and fishing the creeks and rivers. The Haughton River is reached via Giru. Morrissey's Creek (one of my favourites) is a little south of Giru. If you like I'll PM you the directions. Another good system is Groper Creek out from Home Hill, but it's a bit further for you to drive from Townsville.

If you decide to go north, try around Hinchinbrook Island, launching from Lucinda. A top place for small boat fishing.

Cheers
    BBB

If your going to go to hinchinbrook find Mona road boat ramp in Halifax as you don't get bashed going around the corner of the channel half tides will get you out of the Herbert river into the channel in protected waters.
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

cheers guys thanks very much for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by sayeg07 View Post
    am now looking at heading into the deep blue sea. .
    My only advice is to look at trading up to a bigger boat.

Scott

it all comes down to how crazy you are mixed in with good whether my old man and i took a 12 ft tinny with a 15hp out around north of da whitsundays i admit island hopping is good there but we had a perfect day and took a 15 k trip out to an island no worrys at all. i guess if you decide to risk it and go out only advice make sure you got plenty of fuel and pick your day wisely lol