Thread: LEADER FOR 7WT in SALT WATER

LEADER FOR 7WT in SALT WATER

Am about to do a bit of salt water flyfishin, have a 7 weight for the estuary, and lookin at targeting, small trevs, flatties, whiting etc. What leader length and line class would fellow flyfishers recommend.

andrew

Re: LEADER FOR 7WT in SALT WATER

Andrew, there are a lot of variables to the answer too your question. Depends on a lot of things. What are the prevailing weather conditions, are the fish shy and are you going to be fishing floating or intermediate/singing lines. Also, the flies that you'll be using. Wind resistant?? If it was me, go as light as you can, and as long as you can comfortably cast. I'm sure others will have a few suggestions. Just be prepared to be versitile when out on the water. If somethings not working, then try something different. If you get busted up, go heavier or no strikes but only follows, longer and lighter.
    Bill

Andrew

For all saltwater fly I use a very basic system.

For flathead, trevors etc 1.5 to 2.0 metres of 10lb flourocarbon. For whiting 4 or 6 lb. For Tailor or anything with a good set of teeth 20lb. Up north for barra I use between 40 to 60lb flourocarbon depending on where I am fishing.

No tippet, tied straight to the fly with a loop knot.

Simple but it works.

Kind regards... David

I use for the estury around the coast 20lb/15lb then 10lb tippet, across the board, I get busted but when you score one its a great feeling, I also fish two or three flies.