Thread: Is 6wt too light

Is 6wt too light

hey guys,

Ive just recieved my 6wt for trout but wondered how it will go up here in se qld,
    is it a bit light for say bass, toga, mullet, bream, flathead, tarpon and GH.

any tips,

Ben

Re: Is 6wt too light

No, it's just right for the species you mentioned. I'd be making certain the reel can carry a decent lenght of backing.

I started with a 10wt, downgraded to an 8wt and downgraded again to a 6wt.

Make certain you give your reel lots of tlc. Some 'trout' reels don't appreciate any hints of salt.

Luc

Hi Yella,

Most of my Bass and Toga work is done with a 4 wt. The 6 is fine for most freshwater stuff. It may be difficult to get a fast sink line for a 6 but surface stuff is easy.

Ben

Unlike regular fishing, in a lot of instances with fly fishing, the suitability of the weight of the rod is determined by the weight of the fly you are trying to cast or wind conditions. Not always but generally.

As an example, when I fish Hinze Dam I prefer to fish with a four weight. But I always take a 6wt and an 8 wt with me if the wind gets up or I want to cast some big flies.

Kind regards... David

Quote Originally Posted by sooty_mad View Post
    Ben

Unlike regular fishing, in a lot of instances with fly fishing, the suitability of the weight of the rod is determined by the weight of the fly you are trying to cast or wind conditions. Not always but generally.

As an example, when I fish Hinze Dam I prefer to fish with a four weight. But I always take a 6wt and an 8 wt with me if the wind gets up or I want to cast some big flies.

Kind regards... David
    Yeh ... i'd agree with David here! ..... My preference would be for a 7wt as it would handle sinking lines , big clousers/ poppers + any wind that is around .......... Also I;m of the opinion that a delicate presentation is less of an issue ( unlike trout) ..... SLAMEM DOWN & get the fishes attention So a 6wt is fine & would handle all species mentioned..... Nagg

Yep perfect I use a seven now and love it my fav is the Toga the seven handles them fine. I even taken Barra up to 90cm on it its a real blast

Im with David also.
    A 7 weight is a dam good alrounder.I use my 7 on lake trout(Drys) as well as in the Tassie salt(big aus. salmon on big strippers).
    Hook up and hold on
    Cheers
    Reidy