Thread: silver metallic paint on a 4x4

Question silver metallic paint on a 4x4

i am in 2 minds as to whether or not to get silver metallic paint on the new defender.

Apart from costing $900 more, I see a lot of cars on the road with 'cancer' in silver paint finishes. That white ghosting on the roofs and bonnets.

Most of these cars seem older or is it that they have been reprayed after accidents with acrylic etc .

The new car will spend all day every day outside and I intend to have it for some time.

Has anyone had experience with silver paint on their car - the good and the bad.

chris

this is what it'd look like (with the rack from Opposite Lock too). Looks a bit less like a fridge when its got silver paint.

Re: silver metallic paint on a 4x4

I had a silver Land Cruiser which developed the dreaded white cancer. Mind you, it was more than 15 years old by then and had lived its life in the sun.

Mike

They say that a regular going over (every 6 months or so) with Turtle wax will keep that from occurring, dunno how true that is.
    Certainly the bit about poor preparation on re-spraying is valid, my colleague bought a sedan as a worky & I could see it had been resprayed recently, and poorly, and sure enough, 12 months later it looks like it has dandruff
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

My take on this is with a metalic from the factory should last near forever, what happens is people love their new carto death buy cutting. A metalic paint job if it never sees anything but a wash and a polish (no cut) it will last forever.

Was talking to someone not long ago on this subject while we were traveling, the next few older metalic cars we saw had near perfect cancer precisely where a person will polish the hardest ie and use a cutting compound. All of the hard to reach spots that would see full sun and weather was still in good nick.

Cannot say I am right but check a few of the older commodores at the lights. The first cut kills them forever.

I use nu finish on mine, it needs nothing more and the paint IMO will last forever but i got lucky and suspect the first owners never even washed it form new.

cheers fnq

Mate go the Silver.
    I have 2 silver cars at the moment one a 93 Toyota and a 03 Toyota both paint jobs are in good Nick. Also have a 94 Paj with silver wheel guards and sides.

Mind you never cut them either, just the very odd polish with a spray bottle type wipe on wipe off.

The good thing about Silver is it never really looks dirty compared to a lot of colours, but trying to colour match a scratch is difficuilt.

And the jurys still out for me, but I have never ever, had or seen more bonnett chips as I have with these two silver cars.

I wouldnt worry about metalic grey or not. Id be more worried about leaving it outside in the weather 24/7. I had a car i garaged for 3 years. PERFECT. 1 Year outside in the weather aged it about 4 years and yes developed cancer etc... Get a car port or build a garage or something. Its a real shame to leave a NEW car in the weather allday everyday.
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    I wouldnt worry about metalic grey or not. Id be more worried about leaving it outside in the weather 24/7. I had a car i garaged for 3 years. PERFECT. 1 Year outside in the weather aged it about 4 years and yes developed cancer etc... Get a car port or build a garage or something. Its a real shame to leave a NEW car in the weather allday everyday.
    BD
    Yeah mate...get Thommo to build a carport for ya so you can park the new Landy in it during the day.
    What do you reckon he'd say??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Yeah mate...get Thommo to build a carport for ya so you can park the new Landy in it during the day.
    What do you reckon he'd say??
    he's just started installing approx 40m of greenhouse for me to torture plants in ... maybe i'll tuck it in there - i don't want it to become a stable pony afterall

silver has a higher tendancy to fade although saying that a good quality 2pac refinish or oem should last at least 10years outside no matter what color it is. id be more concerned if it was a pastel but you shouldnt have any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS aka GWH View Post
    he's just started installing approx 40m of greenhouse for me to torture plants in ... maybe i'll tuck it in there - i don't want it to become a stable pony afterall
    One way to pay your salary I suppose...cash crops.
    Just watch those older kids getting into the happy weed
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    BD

maaaaaaaaaaaaaate ...

no room in the garage - the boats in there!

and the wife won't give up her side - she's a feisty one !

chris