Thread: How to catch sharks (help wanted)

How to catch sharks (help wanted)

hey guy i do alot of fishing but never shark fishing and am wanting to try it this weekend and would like to know some tips such as where, when, what bait, ect

any help will be greatly appreciated

ps. is it safe to fish in a 3.7 meter tinnie

bron

Re: How to catch sharks (help wanted)

Where abouts are you located mate?

You'll have most success at night, and you have to put in the hours......keep a good burley trail running.

Mullet's prob. a good choice for bait......or if you can get a tailor or trev, they are dynamite as a livey for sharks.

Have a search through the forums....this questions been asked before..

3.7M tinnie is fine.....although I wouldn't be bringing an 8-10 footer on board green!

Hello, good day sir, I do quite alot of shark fishing when palajics are out of season in the bay since sharks never leave, I always catch and release though, I can't see the point killing a beautiful animal for fun when I dont eat them.

Firstly, the best spots are spoil grounds, check your maps, these are special areas where trawlers etc dump their trash after a trip. Sharks love a free feed and these places are full of them, any time of day.

Now, bait: Some people like mullet but i find the flesh isnt bloody enough for sharks, I always use mack tuna fillets, a good mack tuna u can get 6 strips of baits off. Then u can either hang the frame over the back of the boat for more berley or rig it up somehow as another bait.

Berley, just gotta have a good oil slick going, tuna oil is the best, dont get a fish attractant it isnt much good for sharks. Try to look for a tuna oil with alot of sediment in the bottom this usually shows a good oil.

For a rig, i usually use a heavy mono leader going to a plastic coated wire trace, they reckon normal wire is detectable by the shark's electric pulse senses. The wire trace leads to two large circle octopus hooks sepparated by about 10 - 20cm depending on the size of your bait. I have been told that circle octopus hooks go to the corner of the sharks mouth where it is easy to get out, so far unless they swallow the bait it ive seen it usually does.

Oh yeah, 3.7 should be fine, providing it's stable enough, you dont want to go in the drink when there are sharks around. Ive had them take the berly bottles off the back of the boat... Oh yeah, if you do tie any berley off the boat, make sure u dont mind losing it and the rope/fishing line will break if one hits it, you dont want an eager 1 holding on to something on the back of your boat too long