Thread: cast netting at deep water bend

cast netting at deep water bend

i am about to buy a 12 ft net with top and bottom pockets and was wondering where is the best place to net along there.

i don't have access to a boat

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

ps. this community of fishos is great. getting many replys in such a short time. thanks heaps fellas

Re: cast netting at deep water bend

The pontoon next to the boat ramp at Deep Water Bend is a popular spot with the land-based cast net brigade. At this time of the year you'll probably only get herring but it's a good spot for prawns from after Christmas through to about April - may. There is a big snag off the upstream corner of the pontoon, I think, which has destroyed many a cast net, so try to find out from someone else where it's safe to cast
    Cheers Freeeedom

down the boat ramp at baldhills ,get some good mullet there at times.

Yep - there is an engine block (so rumour has it) off that pontoon. Watch out for it.

Throwing a 12 footer... have you cast a bit before ? I find the bigger the net the harder to get a nice spread...

yeh i started on a 6 about 4 years ago and gradually moved up. i have a 10ft atm

i havent had too much problem casting between the pontoon and rock wall, mind you, mine is 8ft. be careful of snags. if you walk the bank downstream past the ramp you'll find a little cove - should be some great mullet in there on the right tide.

cuzza

You'll be shoulder to shoulder on the pontoons at DWB and rumour has it that the council are about to enforce the no fishing (from pontoon) rule.

A little known place is from the bank at the lagoon at castle hill. You'll have to either walk down from the John Oxley reserve (a fair trek) or find your way through an easement between the houses at Refidex 99 F4

No prawns yet but plenty of mullet. You may get the odd whaler as well :-)

good luck

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

in here somewhere?

what/where do u cast from?

any major snags?

are the prawns any good

Quote Originally Posted by danryan75 View Post
    in here somewhere?

what/where do u cast from?

any major snags?

are the prawns any good
    Spot on Dan and there is an easement slope at that exact spot that lets you scramble down.

There are a few cleared areas between the bushes where someone has fished for whalers ;-) As far as I know, it is well cleared via a grapnel hook but rubbish may have found it's way in there since I last used a grapnel, but I doubt it. Unfortunately, the best spot at the mouth of the lagoon has been eroded by wash and is now about 8 to 10 ft above water with the fallen bank below, so there isn't as many options as there once was.

Try a recce and you'll see what I mean. The prawns (when they're on) are mainly greasies with the odd banana.

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 17-10-2007 at 08:02 PM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Good on ya Kev, always happy to hand out info, I may have a look myself

Hope your health is rapidly on the mend

Russ
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?