Thread: deep water bend/ pine

deep water bend/ pine

i have been fishing there for years with limited sucess. i have top quality gear but seems to no help. just asking for any tips for around there. i dont hace a boat.

thanks

daniel

Re: deep water bend/ pine

Mate
    My opinion is that because this area is trawled regularly
    there are few fish to be caught.
    Every man and his dog fishes there from the bank.
    Not sure what it is like at night
    There is a sandy patch near the green marker that used to hold whiting.

Ken

G'day Daniel,

At Deepwater Bend I prefer to fish unweighted baits right along the edge of the rock wall. Get some light berley happening with some fish oil in it and constantly keep trickling it out very slowly. I prefer to use 1/2 frogmouth pillies on a single 1/0 hook and no swivel or leader, just 4lb line down to the hook.
    Cast as far as you can upcurrent and about 8 feet from the edge of the water. Take up the slack only and watch for twitches of your line. Those twitches will be your only telltale usually. I generally find as long as the tide is running you can score a feed there fishing this way.
    The trick is positioning your berley upstream from you the right distance and keep it being dribble fed into the water.

Jack.

I have fished the pine for quite a few years, and have pulled a number of different species from it. Bream and flathead are the main suspects though.

the rock wall is good (use to be a lot better) and tunaticer is on the money, no weight 1/0 hook and not throwing out far at all.. most of the good bream i have caught along this wall in the last year were no more than 6 feet from the waters edge. on the downstream side of the boat ramp was my fav spot but haven't tried it here since they extended the boat ramp.

you can get to under the highway bridge to fish also. Access is from the highway taking the gravel quarry exit and sticking to your right as you enter. gets sloppy near the end of the track but there is room to park not far away for 2wd's. here you may want to use a little weight but not too much. Casting between the pilons should produce plenty of Bream at the right time.

there are a few other access points up near Lawton for fishing the pine land based, I haven't tried them but have heard some good reports comming from the road bridge there at Lawton.

If there is a particular species your chasing from the pine let me know and i might be able to help with bait/lure and location more for you

cheers
    Brandon...

As Brandon said, the pine h'way bridge is worth a go for some breambos. also the odd trev there too, especially on the northern side. either side of that bridge seems to only attract catties, rays, and the odd little bull. Same goes for around castle hill, so i wouldn't bother there. have had some good success east of the lawnton bridge for flatties - fish the start of the ebb at night. also the odd cod and jack in that area too. as for deepwater bend, it's hard going these days. but, you do get the odd surprise turn up around those rock walls - long hours though. I like the burley idea too, never thought to try chumming there. also, to the left of the hornibrook can produce whiting and flatties - try cast into the channel where the starboard beacon is. let us know how you go.

cuzza

thanks for the tips guys. ill add some more details as i was in a rush this morning.

im 15 and have been fishing there since i was about 12. i have 2 fairly high quility spin outfits. i usually fish off the pontoon now ans there don't seem to be many whiting around on the sand anymore. i am happy to fish for anything tableworthy and are able to buy all baits and lures that would be effective. i rarely have access to a boat so all shore fishing tips please. i have never caught a fish on a lure/plastic before even after many attempts. the highway bridge is out of the question as i have to rely on mum to take me most times so anywhere around the pontoons or boardwalk is good.

i have tried along that rock wall with prawns and worms with varying success with the best bream i have taken around the 32cm mark.

i find the tide runs incredibly fast through there sometimes. is there any way to get around this?

i have tried herring and yellowtail pike for bait i have caught with my net and jigs but nothing to write home about there.

any tips would be much appreciated as im sick of going down there to feed the fish. rather bring a few home

cheers
    Last edited by danryan75; 15-10-2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typos

Time of tide, and day would make a difference at deep water bend also. either low, or high tide (1hour either side of both) is a good time to fish, close to dawn or dusk is also a plus. bugger all boat traffic and people is even better. Don't fish from the pontoons, not only is it against the rules down there you are limited to where you can cast. Get on the rock wall (or rocks past the boat ramp and flick the unweighted bait (I mainly use little pillies or mullet flesh on a 1/0 hook) no more than 6 foot out from the bank , and towards the flow of water so it washes down with it for the max time. doing this your recasting every 5mins but your in the zone
    if its a little shallow where you are move up the bank a bit and try again. you will find some very steep drops along the wall. If you find a nice looking spot, maybe where you have caught a fish remember it and come back next time with the burly

You WILL get snagged, there isn't much you can do about it, just make sure you bring lots of hooks if you wanta catch the fish you gota think where are they feeding? against the snags were all the bait fish is hiding!!!! What do we do when we are fishing a creek from a boat? we fish the banks!! same goes with Deep water bend.. A lot of fisher people miss out because they are casting in the middle as far out as they can, don't get me wrong you will get some fish there but no where near as many if you fish close to the structure

Herring fillets and pike fillets should work just as well also. (cheap cast net bait).

there's a bit more info for ya Good luck and hope to see some reports soon!!

G'day mate, in response to the fast moving tides. The boys have been on the money about unweighted baits. If it's unweighted it will wash along the natural course of the river bed...making it look natural. It can be difficult at Deepwater Bend if there's a crowd around ( Tangled lines )
    Sometimes it's better to just get away from the crowd. I've fished there a few times and quickly moved on. If a place doesn't produce the goods, and it sounds like your after a feed, just keep on moving til you find them.
    Perhaps you've got some mates who are into fishing, if so, get together and start prowling around for good spots.

If you are limited to deepwater bend area you can walk towards the mouth of the river from the least of the bend rock walls about 800m to what used to be an old camping area at the start of the sheoaks. In front of this area is a couple of underwater dunes in the sand/mud that have been there for at least the last 30 yrs i know of. The whiting tend to school in the valley between these dunes and feed on whatever washes through. With a boat it is easy to fish just letting out more line and washing your bait back to the holes. From the bank it is more difficult but it is easily within casting range (about 15-20m from the waters edge). getting the cast to land in the right location so your bait washes into the hole without a big belly in your line will take a little working out but walk down with your rod keeping the line fairly free of slack until you feel the bite. Take a mental note of the location and try to work out where you need to stand to achieve a good presentation.

I have taken catches of 25 whiting from this area repetitively over the years so its definitely a goer, even if it takes about 25 mins to workout the right location to be at. It also is a regular producer of good flounder and occasional good flathead too.

Jack.