Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crayfish/spear fishing

Re: Crayfish/spear fishing

Next Friday seems like a day to get out there!
    Gonna have to persuade the boss (me!) for a day off!!

If anyone is getting any crays and has a spare seat for an old spearo, let me know.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Simmo2,
    I use to work as a cray diver back in the '80's out of Thursday Island in the Torres Straits. The best tool of the trade was a brromstick cut down to around 500mm to 600mm with a hole drilled up the centre for around 150mm. 10mm to 12mm stainless rod about 400mm long was inserted and sealed in with resin. The end was honed to a point and then a barb was cut into it. A bit of hand spear rubber on the end of the broom and your away. I remember taking an average of 100kg's of tails per day when they were running hot.
    Good Luck.

Hi Simmo2,

Uri would know he's caught a lot around the reefs, My Uncle is half owner of barron river tackle (Nick) along with my cousin (David). I'm always in there, might seeya there one day, I'll shout ya a coffee .

Cheers,
    Rob

We dont use a gun. Got these ones very close to the mainland.

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. P.J. O'Rourke

FMD supertinny, now that is skill in action!
    Superb pic, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by treasureman View Post
    Hi Simmo2,
    I use to work as a cray diver back in the '80's out of Thursday Island in the Torres Straits. The best tool of the trade was a brromstick cut down to around 500mm to 600mm with a hole drilled up the centre for around 150mm. 10mm to 12mm stainless rod about 400mm long was inserted and sealed in with resin. The end was honed to a point and then a barb was cut into it. A bit of hand spear rubber on the end of the broom and your away. I remember taking an average of 100kg's of tails per day when they were running hot.
    Good Luck.
    X2, When I lived on Moa Island I found out this was quicker and easier than dicking around with a gun [small Seahornet tourist].

Nice photos of great crays mate. Well done.
    Peter