Thread: Live bait in Moreton Bay

Live bait in Moreton Bay

Hello All

I am told that finding live bait in the southern end of Moreton Bay is far more difficult than in the northern end of the bay. Can anyone assist with spots in the southern bay? I have just purchased a couple of Sabiki jig rods and would like to try them out!

Thanks in advance.

Troy

Re: Live bait in Moreton Bay

How far south? Harries usually has some bait around that you can jig up.

Cheers Chris

Thanks for that. I actually have fished Harry's a lot. Never thought to try collecting bait there... I fish a lot around Peel and sometimes at Mud. Unfortunately, my success rate in the bay is a bit ordinary, but I will keep trying!

Thanks again.

Sorry, another stupid question. When jigging somewhere like Harry's, would you sit down off the drop-off or jig in the shallower section??? I assume on the drop-off, but I am still learning!

Thanks again.

If your fishing mud you can also pick up some live bait at the coffee pots or any other beacon along the Brisbane river entrance that is holding bait.

Cheers Chris

Usually the bait is where the bait is, which can be anywhere, use your sounder to find the bait then drop the jig in front of them, with one or two drops you will have more livies then you will know what to do with.

Cheers Chris

Thanks. I guess most beacons etc will be worth a shot, but I am sure that some are traditionally better than others. We head out from Raby Bay (good ramp and easy access to Peel if we find it a bit rough for heading further out), so I will just stop along the way and see what I find. I will definitely give these spots a try.

I appreciate all the help.

seahorse whisperer,

On your way from raby bay to Harrys you will pass 3 or 4 markers, the first one north of peel holds yellow tail consistently.

When you get to harrys, about 200 metres west of the drop off you will find schools of bait, use your sounder to find them, a couple of weeks ago it was pike.

Regards
    Honda

Thanks for that! It is now up to me to learn how to catch them.... Hopefully, my next fishing session will be more productive than yesterday in the Logan River (one stingray, one eel, one small bream and..... surprise, one under-sized squire!).

I appreciate all the help.

can someone please explain to me what they actually catch when they get live bait and exaclty how to catch them

Benny01,

Yellow tail (yakka,scad), pike, garfish, bonito, mullet, slimey mackeral; these are what you should be targeting for live bait.

Live bait can sometimes just be the difference between a good fish and an ordinary fish (just depends on the fish on the day).

Inside the bay, you will be targeting snapper,tailor, mackeral tuna, cobia, jewfish.

Outside, the list gets a whole lot more serious.

Regards
    Honda