Thread: Re-Make of and old Rod

Re-Make of and old Rod

Hi guys
    I was just wondering how difficult it would be to strip down an old rod of mine, a 6'6 Wilson spin rod (2-5kg) and replace the guides, reel seat and grips. It has an epoxy type coating which is beginning to crack and chip away, some of the guides are bent and the reel seat is broken so is in desperate need of repair. Also any ideas of an approx cost if i did the work myself. Its no top shelf rod, but has great sentimental value.
    Thanks
    AAdam

Re: Re-Make of and old Rod

Hi aadam

Mate striping the rod is easy
    also make sure when you remove the lacquer that makes the rod shiny that you use the non sharp side of a stanley knife
    be careful when removing the eva or cork gripd with a sharp stanley knife that you do not cutinto the blank
    to remove the reel seat use a hackaw and cut the seat in a spiral from one end to the other. You can also heat up the real seat to get the epoxy(araldite) to meltthen pull it off.
    I have done several and the rod looks like brand new.

Ken AKA Rodman

The cost would depend on the components you want to use
    from $60 to $150.

Ken

Ken,
    Thanks for that, sorry about the delay in replying. I picked up a set of fuji alconite (i think thats how its spelt) guides and a fuji reel seat. Just wondering what the different grades of thread (eg A,B,C) stand for and what their particulars uses are. Also, what is something good that i can use as a packing for the reel seat, its a bit loose around the top.
    THanks again
    AAdam

the abc relates to the thickness of the thread, so if you wer doing a big surf rod and had a large area to do a larger thickness would be better

For the reel seat you can put skinny 'bands' of masking tape on to make the seat fit as snug as a bug in a rug so the glue has as large a surface area to grab the seat and blank as possible and also so the glue can set with the seat in a central location.
    With the thread Ben's right. A is small and D large diameter and since it's on a smaller rod stick with the A.
    Where are you matey??

It's all good fun isn't it especially seeing the rod has sentimental value it's worth all the effort and expense.

Cheers Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Aadam

Mte the other posts have given you the right info.
    The important thing about stripping and redoing your rod is to take it steady as you do not want to damage the blank.

Ken (AKA Rodman)

hi Adam, for the loose reel seat you can use tape as suggested (nothing really wrong with it) but the better option (better feel transfer and seriously greater longevity) purchase a set of arbors ( try http://www.acidrod.com/tackle.html , Iv'e no association with mob other than being a well looked after customer) you will be much happer with the feel of the rod with the arbors.

Regards
    Walldog
    There are 10 types of people in this world
    "those that understand binary and those that don't"

Quote Originally Posted by walldog View Post
    hi Adam, for the loose reel seat you can use tape as suggested (nothing really wrong with it) but the better option (better feel transfer and seriously greater longevity) purchase a set of arbors ( try http://www.acidrod.com/tackle.html , Iv'e no association with mob other than being a well looked after customer) you will be much happer with the feel of the rod with the arbors.

Regards
    Walldog
    Why's that??
    What's better feel transfer and why do they last longer??.
    I might get an edumecation here as well
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Why's that??
    What's better feel transfer and why do they last longer??.
    I might get an edumecation here as well

All Tape arbors (except fibreglass ) break down with stress and time, nothing you can do about it. check out how many 20+yr old functional rods have tape arbors if ya wanna put it to the test ( and take particular notice of the condition of the tape), or you could just look up 3M website and have a look at the technical specs for masking tape.

also short term the malleable quality of the tape may not be noticed at first but as the tape shrinks with age as it dessicate's it introduces further stresses on aging epoxy.

Now I have absolutely no proof in the next bit but it is purely my own observations, the urethane arbor creates a greatly enhanced fit to the reel seat ( if you dont shape it under size ) this rigidity is what transfers more enhanced oscillations (Now like I said this is just my opinion/experience, I have factual data to support this)

Sorry to come off like a Know it all, but whilst tape arbors will work perfectly well in the short to medium term, Urethane arbors are superior IMHO

regards

Walldog
    Last edited by walldog; 21-10-2007 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Clarifying "TAPE"

I use this stuff

in 20mm or so wide strips. The weave is really open and you can work the epoxy into the tape so that the tape basically becomes a fibreglass reinforced epoxy arbor.

Works for me!

Yep the Fibreglass tape works a real treat, Holds epoxy well and never dries out or falls apart, lot more messing around than the arbors I personally think & doesnt give the same feel as either, but when I dont have any arbor material on hand and don't feel like waiting for it to arrive I will break out the F-tape to save time.

Walldog
    Last edited by walldog; 21-10-2007 at 03:15 AM. Reason: edit