Thread: Do you take your own gear on a charter boat?

Do you take your own gear on a charter boat?

Last year i went on a charter boat off the Goldy.. i bought everything including the kitchen sink! when we stopped i was jigging when we moved i trolled i also threw lures at schools of tuna... And then a asked the captain to drive up to floating debis to chase Dollys...
    Are you as bad as i am or are you happy to use thair gear...

Re: Do you take your own gear on a charter boat?

I've never been on a charter but

when I'm working I like my own tools.

and

there is something to be said for catching stuff with your own gear.

If I had gear appropriate for the task i would most certainly like to use it.

You wouldn't expect a keen golfer to use hired clubs now would you.

cheers

thats does sound a bit familiar. i cant always take my own braid gear when going on charters offshore. when everyone cant feel a thing you are hauling the fish it sometimes causes some envious looks on the boat. depending on the quality of the charter i may bring only roods and reels or i may even take 2 tackle box's full of sharpened hooks special sinkers etc...
    only downside is the tangles that braid line make on charters.....makes for one unhappy crewman.

I do and have 100lb braid on mine. As long as the deckie and skipper knows. I taek my onw jigs and special hooks, anything else I use the charter boat gear, that's what one pays money for. Many times I've been on charter trips people still tend to drop their lines all at once regardless where they are on the vessel= resulting in big mess. From what I have experienced if everyone at the stern drops at once, then count 5 secs for the side, then amidships, it all works out good as long as the skipper manouvres the vessel to keep the lines straight relative to the current and wind drift. Done this for over 10 years and only on 4 occassions have major problem and yep, loose 250 yards of braid, ouch.

When there are a few people fishing with braid, well the trick in theory is to have them spread out a bit, 9 out of 10 it works. That's my experieces on the Gold Coast as well as Hervey Bay

I use their gear but I only ever go on charters when I am away from home on a business trip.
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Only once did I not take my own gear and as luck would have it the suplied gear was crap,guides or inserts missing,and just poor quality.
    Learnt my lesso and never again will I not take my own gear.
    (this was only One boat at moolooba and i have been on others where their gear certainly made me envious and I will certainly put my gear away and fish with theirs if that is the case.)

Cheers Craig

I always take my own gear includeing hooks but dont take stuff loaded with braid unless prearranged and then he useually puts me up the front on the bow well away from the other customers ....matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......