Thread: Live bait well for my jetty / pontoon.

Live bait well for my jetty / pontoon.

Basicly I want to build something for the side of my jetty.
    Im thinking like a square box with mesh/net or something and sit that in the water.
    That way I dont need an aerator etc when they are constantly getting fresh water. Ive noticed my herring dont survive more then 2 days even with an aerator. this may be because of water temp in the bucket or them just naturally freaking out.
    Either way has anyone made one of these or know someone who has?

Re: Live bait well for my jetty / pontoon.

Herring will die easy because they get knocked around together and the scales come off and choke each other. Whatever you make will need good water ventalation holes meshed with something they cant try to get thru and get stuck but big enough that loose crap can escape.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timfishin4fun View Post
    Herring will die easy because they get knocked around together and the scales come off and choke each other. Whatever you make will need good water ventalation holes meshed with something they cant try to get thru and get stuck but big enough that loose crap can escape.

Tim
    Im thinking galvenized chicken wire?

Or gutter gard that would be soffter than wire ?

so long as theres not much current running just get a big white bucket drill holes in it and tie it off to the pontoon so the lip of the bucket is above the water line and put a brick or something heavy in the bottom to keep it from tipping.
    .......Ash

There is no current or tide. We are in a sealed lock.
    Gutterguard is a good idea actually, just hope the trevs dont attempt to free the little guys

hey guys what about a laundry basket like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laundry-baske...QQcmdZViewItem

hahaha might work with some modifications a lid of some sort?

What about the barrel of an old top loader washing machine? Large holes to let water flow and the cr@p to fall free. just wire lid of sorts on to it to stop them jumping free
    Aussiefool
    Andrew

Grab a 20-40l screw top drum from a camping store and attack it with a drill with a large bit (10-12mm). Chuck a brick or two in it to keep it out of sight, tie a rope to the handle and away you go. Don't drill the bottom 20% and you can pull it out of the water and still have enough water to keep them alive
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"