Thread: Tackle for Weipa?

Thumbs up Tackle for Weipa?

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone who has been up to Weipa recently could help with what sort of tackle I should take up and what I can expect to hook up to. Rods/reels/line class and lures either hard or soft? I'm heading up at the end of October for a charter. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Re: Tackle for Weipa?

We went up their last year, i took a 10-12kg 6ft6 Boat Rod with a Overhead loaded with 30lb Braid and 50-60-70lb leader for the OffShore stuff and a 6-10kg Casting Rod with a 6000 Size reel and 40lb braid with 80lb Leader for the barra.

G'day One Day,

We just got back today from a two week stay in Weipa. The place is starting to fire. We caught alot of small to mid sized barra, fingermark and cod. A few jacks, but they seemed very scarce. Also caught a black jew and a few juvenile QLD grouper, which is good to see.

Most of our fish were caught in the upper reaches of the local creeks and rivers, such as the mission, hey and embley.
    The Wenlock River is definently worth a look aswell, u can launch at clough landing (77km's from Weipa caravan park) on the way to mapoon, but only from half tide up. The wenlock is a massive river with holes and rockbars throughout. The deepest hole we sounded up was 60ft deep . Pretty good for a natural river i thought.

The majority of our fish were caught on the middle sized prawnstars in honey pot colour, and also on other sinking lures (rattln spots, etc). We started using these when nothing else was working. The prawnstars were absolute dynamite, Take out the back weight so they sink slowly and let them drift down deep through the snags, you will get fish.
    Also, tilsan's and RMG's accounted for many fish. Also, make sure you take many marabou (bucktail) jig's for the pelagics. They are deadly little lures and cost near to nothing.

As for rods and reels, just your standard bara gear will suffice. We used 4-6 and 6-8 kilo barra sticks (Live Fibre, Loomis and Ugly Sticks) with mid sized baitcasters (6000 sized abu's, 400 sized calcutta's and 300 sized daiwa lunar's) loaded with 30lb braid and 60lb leader. These where more than enough for the fish we encountered while barra fishing. As well as this, its wise to take a mid sized spinning outfit for throwing plastics etc.

Also, we fished the end channel markers in the shipping channel. These hold a phenomenal amount of fish. We only managed to land a few, including a nice fingermark of around 70cm, but got busted up heaps. If you plan on fishing out there (which i recomend you try) take a HEAVY set-up. I'm talking 24 kilo t curve jig rods and trinidad's if u can get your hands on 'em. There are some major ooglies out there, 200kg grouper, fingermark, nannygai, black jew, bull sharks, monster spanish mackarel, 14ft tigers, basically you name it its there. We only had our barra gear fishing for fingermark with live mullet, and got positivley well and truly blown away.

Anyhow, hope this helps, have a great trip and give us a report when you get back.

Cheers, Mitch.

Mitch,

Thanks very much for the report. Heaps of info there. I wil be looking at flicking a few plastics around and will stock up on prawnstars and marabou jigs. Cheers,

One day