Thread: A beauty of a bay experience

A beauty of a bay experience

A late post from yesterday that I thought would amuse a few.

Russ81 and I tee'd up a fish yesterday in the bay. The weather forcast was suppose to see it a little blowy up until lunch time then great conditions until lunch time today (friday). Well our little expedition started off a lot later than expected as Russ81 (the skipper) had to get his fat arse around a 2.4km running track that I'm sure nearly gave him a heart attack but we set off just before 11am.

Conditions weren't too bad as we set off for Mud a little choppy but bearable. The sounder told us there was nothing going so we moved on toward Tangalooma.

Almost at the 4 beacons some bird activity attracted our small attention spans into throwing a few slugs into the small patches of white water to no avail.
    Nothing showing at the beacons so we moved north to Cowan and Kurtan.

Pleanty of action through the afternoon with Russ firstly dropping an excellent fish on the dropshot just as we were seeing colour approx 65-70cm Snap. Then shortly after Elcapitain dropped a KG bream right onto his back pod which quickly swam away. At this point i'm thinking (another day with russ where I'm mopping up his double hooks while my rods stay silent) But this was not russ' day. He lost a few decent fish over the after noon while i boated a 37cm and a 40cm Snap and a nice bream. Whilst over all for the day it was disapointing considering the runs we both had and the sizeable fish dropped but it was a fun day with a nights feed in the esky i certainly can't blame the skipper as he put us on the fish. This is where everything turns sour.

As we were hugged in close to Moreton Is. we hadn't taken too much notice to the wind change from NE to SE. As the Island had given us protection all afternoon there was no sensing the significant increase in wind speed as we set off for home just after dark at about 6.45pm. By the time we got to the 4 beacons it was becomming evident as a strong 25kt wind hit us as we left the islands protection. We would have liked to make a run for the North side of mud but a westerly heading of the boat saw waves hitting us side on and dangerous so a very slow 4kt track saw us slowly make between the south of Mud and St Helena. Regular calls from 'Bayfisher' reminded us how NOT funny our situation was as waves broke over the bow and he laughed his guts out through the phone.

4 hours after setting off from Tangalooma we were back at Manly ramp with some very sore bodies a boat with a little water in it and two blokes in some much need of sleep. Thanks for the Squire Moreton bay!!!!!

Russ may put a few photo's from his phone at a later date.

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by Lovey80; 05-10-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: A beauty of a bay experience

What a night hey mate

Don't forget the two rouge waves that knocked us for six the first a 2.5m monster that hit us flank on from nowhere that nearly skittled the boat (I thought we were going over) and the second that cleaned us up after we had entered the manly leads again hit us flank on from nowhere and taught Chris how to fly, for a moment i thought he was coming on to me one second on one side of the boat and the next he was near sitting in my lap

I have to say though the Trailcraft really took it in its stride and performed brilliantly

Russ

P.s Bayfisher and Horse I know you guys had a great laugh at our expense
    Last edited by russ81; 05-10-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Hey i just re-read your post my arse isn't fat its just festively plump all year round

Well done lads, no doubt it was all worth it for those two squire and a bream

Cheers Chris

Don't forget the awesome Tan...........Awe it still hurts.

Cheers Chris.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Mate i was so sore today i could hardy move lol

Mate, a choppy trip home just makes the good trips seem better

When I was talking to Chris I was pretty concerned that you were out there . Seabreeze live reports told the story and it would have been like a washing machine out in the Paddock. Nothing like the forecast
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"