Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Droplining pics etc

Re: Droplining pics etc

GM....I would have to totally agree with your comments....I would be lucky to go drop lining 4 times a year....And as you stated....It is not just a case of dropping down the hooks and catching a fish per hook....Gee...how many days i have travelled 20 odd nm out past the shelf ....but...only to find the tide is boring...

But that is what i enjoy the most....I call it fishing....maybe others dont....But there is an art to drop lining...and even more so when it comes to long lining....

Do Ausfishers Understand how precise you have to be when running a long line on Hard Bottom...(we call it CRAY bottom)....one little slip up....hit a ledge or boulder and there goes all your gear...when long lines get snagged on Hard bottom then it takes patience and skill to retrieve the snagged gear...

As for using Atlantic Salmon for Bait...well ...when they escape from the fish farms here they are in plague proportions...eg...100 000 5 KG fish we lost last year in just 1 mishap....and this happens quite often....it may not always be in those numbers..
    There are no bag limits on Atlantic Salmon as when they do escape the Gov want them caught ASAP....so there is as little or no impact on the other wild fisheries...so Bait is plentiful....and also the farms here GRADE there fish....10% of all farmed fish are rejects so they are also available for bait....eg...an average farm has 2 -3 Million Intakes each year...so that equates to 200 to 300 000 reject...and there are 4 farms operating here....

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    .... Nagg
    I know where i would love to STICK that little sign you are holding Nagg...

Mick

that's interesting about salmon for bait, at nubeena where we fish from alot, the cray guys wouldn't touch it with a pair of tongs. you really use it as dropline bait?

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post

Mick
    C'mon, that'll do..........

Quote Originally Posted by jigsnreels View Post
    that's interesting about salmon for bait, at nubeena where we fish from alot, the cray guys wouldn't touch it with a pair of tongs. you really use it as dropline bait?
    Yes...best drop line/ long line bait available....As for commercial guys using it...The Stacey family are regarded as the best Cray Commercial fisherman in Tassie ...and it is there preferred Bait

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by deathstar 3 View Post
    Grand Marlin

When the post is described as raping and pillaging, what are people are meant to think and as usual the posts have degenerated in to piss weak verbal abuse from people with little vocabulary or ability to understand other peoples point of views. Describing your fishing trips as days on end of rapping and pillaging doesn't to anyone any good. Weak and intimidated i am not, especially by your piss weak rants. Simple people sometimes find the simplest things the hardest to understand.

John
    John,

The raping and pillaging comment by Jigs did exactly what he designed it to do.
    It is singling out, and embarassing with irony, the people who dont have a clue about the Trevalla fishery & dropline techniques.

So, you have been caught Hook, Line and Sinker ... with your own comment on limited vocabulary and understanding of other points of view used as bait

However, I do agree;
    "Simple people sometimes find the simplest things the hardest to understand"
    and I sympathise with your situation.

Keep your chin up, after all, we are all friends on Ausfish now, aren't we?

Cheers

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post

Mick
    Why wouldn't I not expect anything else from you ?..... .... Nagg
    PS ..... As my opinions had been made elsewhere , I felt there was no need to comment & just let the little Mutual Admiration Society have their day in the sun ..... But it looked like you were anxious for my participation regardless Have a nice day Mick

Nagg, with respect, the Mutual Admiration Society may be larger than you suspect.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Nagg, with respect, the Mutual Admiration Society may be larger than you suspect.
    Cheers.
    Maybe ... maybe not ...... put up a poll! .... We may all be surprised ?? Cheers ... Nagg

There is no irony in describing something for what is, "rapping and pillaging", as you try and degenerate posts into some sort of slanging match. You still fail to acknowledge the simplest point that i was trying to make. Not worth anymore comment from here, waste of time.

Death you have no idea of the condition of the waters off tassie or you wouldn't make comments like that. It's not as if you can get out 364 days a year down there and believe me those bloke that go out on the west coast have balls the size of basket balls. Tassie has some of the most dangerous waters in the world so when you get a chance to get a feed you make the most of it.

Mad
    Grow old disgracefully

Tail between the legs and up the road you go Death ... good to see

It was asked the maximum size of the Stripies and Trevalla.

Mick can probably give a better idea, as the fish off the West & South Coast seem to be bigger.

The biggest Stripey I have seen is around 15kg

The Biggest Trevalla I have seen is around 25kg.

Cheers

Pete

Nothing going on here expect for the fact that I am sick of dealing with an ignorant prick like yourself. Your like my neighbour, seems like a nice guy but really ???????????

Hi Deathstar and Naggs
    PM your postal address to me and I will get copies of our salt water and fresh water regs and send up to you guys, they include lots of relevent info on our fisheries as well as the regs. Can also send you our boating info that is sent out yearly. I believe if you were to read this info your veiws may differ a little to what they are now. Not trying to change your veiw but trying my best to help you understand. We are not as you seem to want to descibe us, but are normal fisho's. Through out these 2 somewhat bitter post I have not belittle any one or made derogatary comments to any one but tried to be level headed and sugest sources for info.
    cheers
    blaze

Drop liners,

You boys have copped your fair shair of SH!T from some pretty vocal Ausfisher`s and it`s just not cricket.....

I see NOTHING wrong with your style of fishing and in fact i think if you can do it down there and it`s all legal GO FOR GOLD...

I love useing my Deck winch out off fraser Island for big reds as some of them you just cant stop on a rod and reel and if you do the tax man in the grey suit will sort you out..........SO is that classed as non spot like... WHO GIVES A SH!T..they are coming up ..

The drop line work is hard physical work and you deserve every fish you get up.

SNELLY , I recon you need to get yourself one of those haulers mate that will sort em out..

Outer Edge.