Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Droplining pics etc

Re: Droplining pics etc

15 Hooks, deck winch? Why don't you just use SS wire and a hydraulic winch! Not fishing to I. Rape and pillage, dam straight! Thats all it sounds like to me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by deathstar 3 View Post
    15 Hooks, deck winch? Why don't you just use SS wire and a hydraulic winch! Not fishing to I. Rape and pillage, dam straight! Thats all it sounds like to me.

John
    Sigh!! read my signature you have a phone call to make.

Where is that button I keep hearing about??

Youre talking to yourself - every1 used the button on you

What do those stripers taste like ?

Ha ha but seriously!! anyone...new member.....

1500 feet???? You have got to be kidding, I hope I never have to work that hard for a feed, ever. On a manual winch you deserve every fish you get I reckon.

Sounds like the old death star 3 has hit warp speed and is in need for decompression or something!!!!

Beam me up sport

Deathstar, what a stupid comment.
    SS wire is way too expensive
    Hydraulic haulers are the go though ... especially if you want to maximise the chances of multiple resets with the 4 lines.

Jigs, how did yu ever learn to fish like that?

Mattooty, filleting a Frost Fish is like trying to perform micro surgery ... they are sooo thin. Then they taste like $hit

The trevalla are really nice, so are the Rays bream.
    Hapuka are a bit fatty for my liking.
    Gemfish are nice too.
    One of my favourites is the pink ling.

Droplining isn't meant to be a tag n release fishing style ... it is serious fishing for serious fishermen who like to push the traditional boring boundaries of fishing straight off the edge of a cliff.
    We dont go out there to muck around.

There is nothing like the anticipation of what might come up on the line ... lots of ooglies as Jigs calls them, Makos, and even a Broadbill Swordfish has been part of a recreational capture on droplines.

I think the amount you catch isnt important, but the anticipation of the unknown.
    Anyway, it is a b!tch of a job cleaning 1/2 a tonne of trevalla ... never again

Jigs, I notice your boat turned red in one of the pics !!

I notice nobody has asked what bait to use... has the fishing style scared a few people off??

Cheers

Pete

Hey Pete

Nice photo

How does that song go ? Put another log on the fire!!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Thought i would add a few Pics from our drop lining trips over the years...Some of these were commercial Trips...

Picture Info..

1..Knife Jaw....Great chewing...just keep fingers clear.....
    2.This what happens when we were allowed 120 hooks per person....10 years ago
    3.Petrol Pot Hauler.....Marvelous equipment...a MUST have...
    4.50 Tasmanian Stripey Trumpeter...
    5.This was a Commercial Trip last year.
    6.A ``Once a year `` Day here...Flat Calm..
    7.A 6 meter day here...pulling a Long line out of a 17 foot dingy...

PS....Pete you are loosing the Plot....Pink Ling over Harpuka.....gee....now i can understand why you did cast that lure in that river...last time you was in town...LOL.....PRIVATE JOKE.......

Mick

I have to do that once before i die. Or the greenies get it banned what ever comes first.

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I have to do that once before i die. Or the greenies get it banned what ever comes first.

Cheers Chris
    Come to Tassie....and experience it Chris.....Geee....Hope NAGG doesnt see these pics....he will have a FIT....

Mick

<15 Hooks, deck winch? Why don't you just use SS wire and a hydraulic winch! Not fishing to I. Rape and pillage, dam straight! Thats all it sounds like to me.>

In fact I would use a hydraulic winch if i had one. What is it people don't get about this? We go fishing to catch fish to eat them. Seems like that's an alien concept to some people. Read the other post - my last trip was in June, next will be in late January. Sheesh.

Listen, if you've got a grizzle, stick it in the other post. This one's for people who know or want to know.

Beautiful pics there GM and Snelly. Think I recognise the gut on that character on the left in yr pic GM

Knifejaw eh snelly? where do you get them?

To whoever asked, yep stripies are A1. We would call them a shallow water fish (600') Some chefs rate them the #1 aussie table fish. I think blueye are even better. But they're all good, gemfish, grenadier, ray's bream, hapuka, terrific stuff. Latchet are great, would like to get more of them.

<There is nothing like the anticipation of what might come up on the line ... lots of ooglies as Jigs calls them, Makos, and even a Broadbill Swordfish has been part of a recreational capture on droplines.>

I wasn't joking about the orcas taking a live trevalla. This has happened.

Like hondaguy says, "nuclear chicken franger with 13/64 ounce jighead with 4lb braid" kind of fishing doesn't cut it here. Bring on the window weights.

Couldnt Agree More Jigs....Post so more Pics....

Knife Jaws....Conway....same thing....We get them anywhere from 70 Fathom to out past the shelf....they are great chewing....but as you would know....nearly everything deep water is...

Must agree....Stripey Trumpeter...and Blue Eye...are my no1 Fish...

Mick

The Orcas will selectively take Trevalla off the line and leave all other fish.

All that remains on the hook when they take them is the lips of the fish ... amazing.

They (as a pod) will do this time and time again ... never getting hooked and never breaking the main line.

Jigs, those Knifejaw are a new one to me.
    I have never seen or heard of them recreationally or commercially on the east coast.
    Snelly tells me they are quite common on the west coast.

Cheers

Pete