Thread: New Member Seeks Your Help . . .

Question New Member Seeks Your Help . . .

Hi all

One of your members, peterbo3, directed me to this site some time ago, and I've just now signed up.

I will be coming to Australia for a conference in November. The conference runs from the 17th to the 20th in Adelaide.

However, I have some free time before then that I was thinking of trying to get a light tackle charter at the GBR via Cairns. You know, the only place that us outsiders hear about is the GBR . . .

I understand that this time of year is the heavy tackle/big black marlin season. Not sure if that's what I want to do, as I'd rather do some light tackle fishing for pelagics and small billfish. A light tackle / reef fishing combination day would be fine, as well.

I've tried Cairns Reef Charter Services, who is in the charter directory on this site, but it seems as if the date that I was looking for (Monday, Nov. 12th) is right at the very end of the heavy tackle season and there's nothing much available.

Anyway, at this point, I would greatly appreciate some suggestions or contact info for any (good!!) charter service that might be able to accommodate us (my wife - novice; myself - somewhat experienced). Right now, I'm also not tied to Cairns, but would be open to traveling anywhere along the GBR that we could fly into (i.e., Hamilton Island??). Otherwise, anywhere else around Australia that may provide some good fishing this time of year??

In the US, I run my own boat, http://www.albemarleboats.com/offshore/320XF.html, and have done a little fishing in my time. That being said, I would prefer a charter service that works hard to provide a good chance of having a catch, and not one that is just going to give me a tour of the reef while dragging hookless lures around.

Anyway, thanks for having me here and for your help in getting something set up. I really look forward to my visit to your country, and hopefully I will have some good fishing pictures to bring back home.

Cheers!

Kevin

Re: New Member Seeks Your Help . . .

Hi Kevin and welcome. Your boat looks great . Here are some different options in Cairns and the Barrier Reef. Hope you have a great stay here in Aus.

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel...ectory/fishing

http://www.marlinfishing.com.au/

http://www.fishingcharterscairns.com/

http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page4c.html

Cheers
    Flattie Assassin

Send member "Heath" a pm (private message), I believe he is also an advertiser on this site. Go to the vidio section of this site and he has a few good clips on there. He is not in cains but I reckon he could do what you want.
    cheers
    blaze
    Last edited by blaze; 03-10-2007 at 10:43 AM.

My wife and I have just come back from 3 weeks on Hamilton Island. Although we had our own boat, one of the two charter companies on the island is www.renegadecharters.com.au This company also hires out dinghies / fishing gear / bait etc.. for about $90A for half day so you can fish some close spots to Hammo. Mainly reef fishing and some trolling for Mackeral etc..
    Anytime from September onwards through to early December would be an awesome time up there as the winds are normally at their lightest. Accomodation can be booked through the island's main web site or their are privately owned self contained units available on the site ozstays.com.au
    Hope you enjoy our beautiful Barrier Reef and our coastline. Another option is staying at Hayman Island who also run a charter boat if you have $$$$$$.

Or you could try a little further south of Cairns in Townsville, here, there are plenty of charters services and you'll find that most charter operators here don't really participate in the big Marlin season, as most of that is done off Cairns.

There are a couple of charter services here in Townsville that mainly concentrate on the pelagics, but I can't remeber them to save myself.

Here's a link that has most charter services in the region:
    http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel...ectory/fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Or you could try a little further south of Cairns in Townsville, here, there are plenty of charters services and you'll find that most charter operators here don't really participate in the big Marlin season, as most of that is done off Cairns.

There are a couple of charter services here in Townsville that mainly concentrate on the pelagics, but I can't remeber them to save myself.
    The fish are smaller in Townsville as well so would be better suited to light tackle

Try lizard island it's a way above cairns but everything is there, fish abound of all classes.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by Billin' Time View Post
    Hi all

One of your members, peterbo3, directed me to this site some time ago, and I've just now signed up.

I will be coming to Australia for a conference in November. The conference runs from the 17th to the 20th in Adelaide.

However, I have some free time before then that I was thinking of trying to get a light tackle charter at the GBR via Cairns. You know, the only place that us outsiders hear about is the GBR . . .

I understand that this time of year is the heavy tackle/big black marlin season. Not sure if that's what I want to do, as I'd rather do some light tackle fishing for pelagics and small billfish. A light tackle / reef fishing combination day would be fine, as well.

I've tried Cairns Reef Charter Services, who is in the charter directory on this site, but it seems as if the date that I was looking for (Monday, Nov. 12th) is right at the very end of the heavy tackle season and there's nothing much available.

Anyway, at this point, I would greatly appreciate some suggestions or contact info for any (good!!) charter service that might be able to accommodate us (my wife - novice; myself - somewhat experienced). Right now, I'm also not tied to Cairns, but would be open to traveling anywhere along the GBR that we could fly into (i.e., Hamilton Island??). Otherwise, anywhere else around Australia that may provide some good fishing this time of year??

In the US, I run my own boat, http://www.albemarleboats.com/offshore/320XF.html, and have done a little fishing in my time. That being said, I would prefer a charter service that works hard to provide a good chance of having a catch, and not one that is just going to give me a tour of the reef while dragging hookless lures around.

Anyway, thanks for having me here and for your help in getting something set up. I really look forward to my visit to your country, and hopefully I will have some good fishing pictures to bring back home.

Cheers!

Kevin
    G'day mate, how about a session in, or around Darwin. It has a great variety of fishing on tap. Plenty to choose here:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=+d...ient=firefox-a

For a trip to never forget i would be looking at west Australia around Broome down to Shark Bay. Charters over there have incredible catch rates and the remoteness will add to a better fishing holiday.

Failing that the Kimberlies around to Darwin or the Wessels would produce a helluva trip too.

Jack.

I know that there are many who will argue that you will get better value for money in townsville.
    perhaps the fish there are smaller..... but are you after monsters.

Townsville is a bit of a poor relation......... but remember poor folks work harder for their pay.

cheers

Get onto Rob Smith (Smithy) and he will put you onto some sort of billfish in SEQ.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/directories/listing.php?id=10
    Last edited by Greg P; 03-10-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Hi Kevin
    if you are in Cairns shoot me a PM and i will take you out a day or two, no charter but you supply the beer LOL

Daz

Thank you all for your suggestions. Wow, what hospitality!!

bustastu - The Hamilton Island deal caught my wife's eye, and we're checking into it right now - sent an e-mail to Renegade charters, but have not yet received a reply. If they come through, that may be the place (according to my wife) . . .

Daz - thanks so much for your awesome offer! If Hamilton Island falls through, I may take you up on it!! What's the beer of choice, and how much does the cooler on your boat hold??

A further question: It seems that many charters are "switching over" from heavy tackle back to light tackle right about the middle of November. Is there something significant about that time and why they'll do one (heavy tackle) and not the other (light tackle) if there's someone wanting to book a particular trip?

Thanks!

Kevin