Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Min lb Mono line for trolling

Min lb Mono line for trolling

HI Team.

Coudl 40lb mono schnider line be OK for trolling wiht a TYR30 and T-Curve Heavy RT?

SPlash

Re: Min lb Mono line for trolling

Many people including myself use much lighter mono line than 40 lb for trolling. Depends mostly on what you are trolling and how fast.

I think you are asking whether 40 lb mono would suit that tackle you mentioned. Never used either myself so can't help you there.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

THanks Jeremy.

I wil lbe trolling for spanish mackeral, small tuna.

How fast - no more than say 10-15 knots I Guess - whatever it takes to catch these fish..

What min lb mono can I get away with?

I use around 30lb for trolling for macs and tuna and also for floating live baits and pillies.
    However a couple of trips ago I used my sons rod which has about 20 pound on it and landed 7macs(3 spanish and 4 sharky's).
    The lighter you go the more fun is to be had but obviously the longer it takes to land the fish.The fish you mention being pelagics are not likely to dive and take you into reef so as long as you put a length of leader material (I use 50-60lb mono)after the trace you can go as light as you like depending on your level of patience really.

Scott

Have you caught anything up in Gove yet?
    Cant wait for your reports,mate.

50 lb,
    cheers,
    jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    What min lb mono can I get away with?
    In SEQ I would say 8-10 kg would be enough, but I think you are up North and sharks may be more of a problem, so you wannt to get the fish in quicker. Maybe 15 kg?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Yes, sharks are a problem.

is 50lb too heavy?

Shoudl i go less lb but more capacity?

SPlash

Splash mate i've done plenty of fishing around your way wessels/truant/bromby's etc we had major trouble with sharks and large cuda's even a tld 25 with 80lb fire line would not save most struggling fish if they got spotted they usally get whacked in the first 5 seconds of hookup.There's not much you can do about it so buy cheaper lures and not from the BP servo!!!Cheers Dan..........

50lb mate ,ya may as well use anchor rope.
    The only difference between 50 and 30lb is when you get sharked with the 50 at least you might get the head and your hooks back.
    Sharks in the north are inevitable.but lately I have been catching up to 7 macs a trip for the last half dozen trips and not lost 1 to sharks using 30lb line.
    But last summer I would lose spanish or parts thereof quite regularly regardless of line class and yes I did try 50lb line to try and drag them to the boat very quickly.
    I just find it no fun at all to skull drag a 10-15kg spanish to the boat in 2-3 minutes using 50lb line with the drag up tight.

Scott

Scott

OK - thanks guys.

Dan5 - WOudl u happen to have some good waypoints?

Yeah splash i happen have to some,what type of boat you got and how far from town do you wanna go?I don't have anything within 10nm of gove itself.Try the Bromby ,Elizabeth bay, Cape wilberforce area, i,ve know a little spot there you can get reds in 3m of water on sp's.Dan.............

Sounds great Dan.

I have a 5.3m fibergalss Haines with 110HP and capacity for around 150Ltr fuel.

Your'e welcome to PM if you like for those waypoints.

SPlash

If you have a tyrnos 30 or saltist 30/40 whats the point of putting 10kg mono on it?

Its just a waist of a reel. Smack 40-50odd pound on em and your giving the reel more a chance to do what its designed to do. I find I prefer to use a heavier line when trolling if you live up north of Brisbane. If you get onto a huge patch of pelagics you dont wanna spend 3 hours fighitng a fish on 10kg. I find Its more fun to get em in within 10mins and throw out for another one. If you do come across a patch of smaller fish and wanna have fun, back of your drag a bit.

Get yourself a good small diameter mono line, and your all set. I use 50lb platipus plantum. very supple, and small diameter for its size and doesn't affect lure depth really

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    If you have a tyrnos 30 or saltist 30/40 whats the point of putting 10kg mono on it?

Its just a waist of a reel. Smack 40-50odd pound on em and your giving the reel more a chance to do what its designed to do. I find I prefer to use a heavier line when trolling if you live up north of Brisbane. If you get onto a huge patch of pelagics you dont wanna spend 3 hours fighitng a fish on 10kg. I find Its more fun to get em in within 10mins and throw out for another one. If you do come across a patch of smaller fish and wanna have fun, back of your drag a bit.

Get yourself a good small diameter mono line, and your all set. I use 50lb platipus plantum. very supple, and small diameter for its size and doesn't affect lure depth really

Flex

I strongly disagree!!! A tyrons 30 is designed for 15kg line (30 = 30lb) and 15 kg line will be more than enough for any spanish you come across, just set your drag to 5kg on strike and 7kg sunset and you'll stop eeven a big spanish quick smart!!

We use 8kg down here for all our light tackle stuff and many marlin over 70kg are tagged off 8kg line in a season and the fights on these would be lucky to go 2 hours an average 30- 40 kg marlin can be tagged within 20 min on 8kg so 15 kg will be heaps for spanish. We save the 24kg (50lb) for chasing blue marlin in the 150- 250kg range and these fights again can be over quite quickly , so 50lb for spanish , OVERKILL mate!

Also 24kg line will really reduce the action of your lures , resulting in less hook ups, just too much drag for little lures!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Great point Ftime!

But, what about the odd tuna/cobia?

ANd, the extreme force when strike occurs with a moving boat?

Don't you need the extra strength for these aspects?

Splash