Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Holden Jackaroo's crap???

Re: Are Holden Jackaroo's crap???

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Yup I have been through there and got through okay. I have adventured over nearly every square inch of Fraser over the years. The loose sand near Indian Head always has cars stuck in it and I have always got through no worries. When I traverse over Fraser I nornally go around the island with two other Pajeros(one of which is owned by Tim J) and we all get through everything without getting bogged. I guess Pajeros aren't too bad for Fraser after all.

Poodroo
    OK poodroo. I've got a good one for you................... have you been to the abandoned loggers camp on Fraser?

The place is freaky. The loggers basically picked up their tools and clothes and walked out. There is running water (tank) trucks, beds, magazines, plates and all sorts of stuff just left like a ghost town. One of the rangers told me about it when I lived on Fraser at on of the resorts and we made the tough slog out there.

Josh

Oh......... and I ended up picking up a TDi Disco for a steal

Bastard, did you go to the hill lately?? 800mm isnt enough travel too not ever lift a wheel (did he modify his petrol tank yet, to get max travel). Being a shoty wouldnt have helped either. I will have over a metre when im finally finished. But thats what i mean! If you pick the right lines and have someone who knows the hill, im sure a pajero or anything like it can make it up. They will be so surprised.... My old ifs hilux made it easily with the lsd rear.

Cmon guys, lets pick a day and go and see how your 4bies do? it will be a very good eye opener. The hill is right off a dirt road (easy to get to) and is only about 25 metres long, Not steep, with a bit of articulation invovled. Anyone???

I tried sending a pm Ben dover but it wouldnt work this is the second time ive tried,yeah ill meet up there just need a few cars and some notice,what are we going to do after we drive through the track though,ormeau would be a better place.

just want to show the others what they are missing out on. Try and get a few hiluxs or pajero's or what ever to come. Ormeau is a bit too full on to get people started (same as compton rd). Im just trying to find some small starter hills. But for me mate, you find a hill and i will drive it. .

I had a 98 Jackaroo 3.0 TD...Great tow vehicle and lovely to drive...but spare parts are very very expensive...eg..alternator....$1400 fitted...Heater core 900 fitted ect

Mick

Whoa - thats insane. I just replaced my 95 Disco V8 Alternator (100amp) with the original part (an Italian made Magneta Mareli) from Ashdowns for $430 including GST. Fitting took me 10 mins even with the serpentine belt. My 02 Diso 140 amp would be dearer I guess (Bosch and higher output), but $1400 is insane. BTW the alternator lasted 240,000ks.

Cheers

Ben, Ormeau is too full on? I used to do all the tracks out there years ago in a standard 92 Hilux. My 4WD club did a run there a couple of months ago (sadly I couldn't go ) and all vehicles got through fine. There were wheels iin the air, some people needed a couple of tries and there was some panel damage to a couple of cars.

There were vehicles from locke/lifted patrols down to slightly lifted challenger and even standard pajero's.

Not that standard 4WD's can go abywhere, they can't. But I think they can do more than most people realise.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Admittedly, I havent been to Ormeau for about 4 years. But its like anywhere. There are tracks and then THERE ARE TRACKS. Its the same as compton rd aswell. And thats exactly what ive been saying brett. I know a bunch of tracks that im POSITIVE standards can make it up. But to look at the hills youd think NOWAY!! But noone wants to take the time to come and try them, even though they are just off a main rd and very easy to get to. Just want to surprise people and help build their confidence and 4x4 ability. The sad part is i dont think my truck would even make it up... running standard road tires etc...

I know what you mean Ben. I've looked at hills and thought, You've gotta be kidding!!! And then gone straight up them without a drama. I think you'd find some guys willing from the last M&G, not many tracks were turned away from. The main reason tracks were left to others was the panel damage issue, sometimes you just don't want to damage the vehicle. But then other times.... And about standard road tyres, I know exactly wher you are coming from. A few guys at Levuka found out just how much of a dufference your tyres, and pressures, can make. I don't think I could do the tracks there with my road tyres on, but put the MTR's on and it's a different story.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Latest 4wd action (nee monthly) has a buying used jackeroo section just for you.

The Mt cotton track was originally used for training 4wd thru qdot at the training centre.

We used to drive up and down it regularly. Depending on whether or not it had been raining etc., line choice was important for such a short track.

Those were bog std cruisers/patrols.

GBC i had a look at it the other day in my travels. Its come along way . Rain and ruts have carved it out nicely and in my books upgraded the hill with alot of travel needed now. I can still pick the best lines and didnt need any1 to spot me. But noones interested. They'd all rather tell themselves how good they are but not try out their 4bies properly on some challenging stuff.

Ben dover it is time to give up,if you want to entice people to a challenge you are wasting your time here,try outerlimits 4x4 .com,you wont be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    GBC i had a look at it the other day in my travels. Its come along way . Rain and ruts have carved it out nicely and in my books upgraded the hill with alot of travel needed now. I can still pick the best lines and didnt need any1 to spot me. But noones interested. They'd all rather tell themselves how good they are but not try out their 4bies properly on some challenging stuff.
    Just a couple of things. Firstly the original point I made was that it was said that Pajeros were useless on Fraser
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    If your looking to do Fraser Island, in my opinion. Jackaroo's and pajero's wont cut it and you will get anoyyed when you cant make it through some tracks.
    BD
    which from my own experiences they are clearly not. I am sure there are tracks especially the Ormeau one that will get me unstuck but that was not the original point I was making. Anyway I have not been able to keep up on here as much as I'd like to due to the wife developing a potentially life threatening heart condition which requires surgery and is booked to happen on the 31st so I will be putting everything including fishing and 4wd'ing on hold until I know all is well with her. Someone feel free to take Ben up on his challenges in the meantime. Go for it.

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 18-10-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Sorry to hear it poodroo, hope all goes well mate. I really just wanna have some 4bieing with people. I miss it alot.
    BD

Very sorry to hear about that Poodroo, I'm sure everyone here feels for you and your family and wish you all the best.

BenDover, I would be happy to go out for a day. The problem I have atm is coming up to Christmas the weekends are pretty booked, with 2 kids and client/work chrissy parties and family get togethers. Will try to make some time and might even get a couple of the guys who work for me, they'd love to find the limits of their gear. One is a lifted 94 hilux and the other is a lifted 90 sierra. I'll post somewhere on here and/or PM you.

Brett