Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Holden Jackaroo's crap???

Re: Are Holden Jackaroo's crap???

Yeah agree with Ben no advantage owning diesel today for 98% of owners IMO, once before they chose to gouge consumers on the diesel fuel price there was an argument in it.

Diesel just doesn't cut it over a basic pertol engine when all is taken into account, the more high tech the diesel is the less sense it makes yet again!

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 05-10-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett1907 View Post
    Got to agree with Poodroo there. My In-Laws Pajero tows a 2tonne trailer on soft sand at North Straddy and Fraser with ease. And Poodroo has taken his completely stock Paj through some pretty tricky locations. Not happy that you didn't include Hiluxs' there though.

No problem with bent side steps Ben, that just means the missus won't complain when I finish the sliders I am making. And you are right about the Petrol/diesel Ben. A mate of mine with a TD Disco just did a fuel cost comparrison between his and a V8 Disco, over a year based on 25 000km the V8 only uses $1500.00 more in fuel. BUT... the diesel costs more than that in extra sefvicing/repair costs. And the V8 is a LOT cheaper to buy used.

I personally wouldn't buy a Disco, I love the Toyota's. And a 4Runner is definately worth considering.

Brett
    Sorry Brett. Actually I thought I did mention Hiluxes but now that you have pointed it out I neglected to do so. Sorry mate. Actually I have to admit how impressed I was with your Hilux at Levuka. Not even I was mad enough to go through the mud bath. And then after the first time you did it again. Yes the Hilux is also a good 4wd especially when you start putting lockers in them.

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 05-10-2007 at 06:40 PM.

Ben i also have a turbo diesel that is as worked as you can get,i also am about to pull it out and go an injected 5 litre or a v6 commodore engine,poodroo if you are doing nothing tomorrow we can meet up around lunch time and go for a run to ormeau and i will show you how useless an independent front end vehicle is,i doubt it will make it in via the water tower.

Hey Poodroo. I guess it depends on where you go on fraser hey. And the tracks you use/ make for yourself . I am just using the light house as an example. The only hard place to get through there is a soft sandy run through the headland (but fraser is not hard at all). But even there some years is extremely easy going. But also some tracks we use that arnt on a map have very very steep soft sandy runs (40 metres or so) and only big wide tires and HEAPS of horse power can get you up there.
    Does anyone know the big sandy fire trail hill on straddie across from the blue lake exit??? Thats the type of hills im talking about.
    Any car can go hard and its all upto the driver, (nice work by the way poodroo) but your only as good as your truck lets you be and when i had a hilux. I got sick of parking it at the bottom of runs it couldnt make it up. So upgrade to a new truck (cruiser) with more potensial. $30k of mods and extra's later. The hills and runs got harder. Upgrade again and so on... Even if i dont ever use it. Its great to know that your truck is capable of going anywhere and you never have to worry.
    BD

ps. Bastard ill come on a run with ya. And if you need any advice about your V8 i can help ya there, have heaps. And can tell ya which parts i went wrong with my V8
    Last edited by BenDover; 06-10-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Bendover - that fire trail on Straddie is used by some people for winch practice.

Cheers

I went to a TDI Disco for economy. I get around 9l/100km and do about 120km each day so it adds up. Do your own oil changes and servicing is reasonable. I don't know why the Disco's are so cheap. They are up with the best stock standard offroaders and are quite well behaved onroad
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

hey ozscott, really?? Thats cheating . i have done all of the fire trails there before. But we only really do that hill now when we feel like testing our horsepower. If your heading from dunich to blue lake (the road way) just before you get to the exit its too your left (you cant miss it) your jaw will drop. Its about 120 metres long and straight up, in a straight line aswell. Its all soft sand with no solid stuff so there is no chance of flipping.
    But for everyone else. You can get passed the bouldors and go around and come down the hill. Low range 2nd gear. Doesnt matter what 4bie you own and if your new to 4x4ing or just want to play around. It would be a rush as it is STEEP!!! It reminds me of the ride at dreamworld. The toboggen. You cant see over the edge and once your front wheels go over, there is no going back. But it is safe as...
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Hey Poodroo. I guess it depends on where you go on fraser hey. And the tracks you use/ make for yourself . I am just using the light house as an example. The only hard place to get through there is a soft sandy run through the headland (but fraser is not hard at all). But even there some years is extremely easy going. But also some tracks we use that arnt on a map have very very steep soft sandy runs (40 metres or so) and only big wide tires and HEAPS of horse power can get you up there.
    Does anyone know the big sandy fire trail hill on straddie across from the blue lake exit??? Thats the type of hills im talking about.
    Any car can go hard and its all upto the driver, (nice work by the way poodroo) but your only as good as your truck lets you be and when i had a hilux. I got sick of parking it at the bottom of runs it couldnt make it up. So upgrade to a new truck (cruiser) with more potensial. $30k of mods and extra's later. The hills and runs got harder. Upgrade again and so on... Even if i dont ever use it. Its great to know that your truck is capable of going anywhere and you never have to worry.
    BD

ps. Bastard ill come on a run with ya. And if you need any advice about your V8 i can help ya there, have heaps. And can tell ya which parts i went wrong with my V8
    Yup I have been through there and got through okay. I have adventured over nearly every square inch of Fraser over the years. The loose sand near Indian Head always has cars stuck in it and I have always got through no worries. When I traverse over Fraser I nornally go around the island with two other Pajeros(one of which is owned by Tim J) and we all get through everything without getting bogged. I guess Pajeros aren't too bad for Fraser after all.

Poodroo

Thanks BD - I will give the uphill a try next time. I did most of the fire trails with my brother a few years ago. He had an older cruiser lifted with massive tyres. I was in my V8 diso series II manual with standard tyres and still went through the 2foot powdery soft sand and red dust from main beach into the mine tracks no problems. Now with much bigger tyres 265/7016 (31's) compared to the old 29.5inch in an AT the Disco should really rock through those areas - I love the sound of the V8 spinning at high revs when having a play through the really thick stuff!!

Cheers

ok pooroo. Well next time your heading to fraser. Ill lend you a ranger key (for the gates) and draw a mud map for you to follow. . Youll need 35" tires (minumum) for diff clearance, and as wide as you can get. Heaps of horse power and about 700mm of articulation (wheel travel) or you wont have a chance of making it. You should gimme a call sometime and i will show you a fun little hill to play on near where i live. Its just passed the tip on mt cotton rd. Its a suspension hill. So i dont know how well your truck will be but my old hilux made it up. So i will spot you and you should make it aswell.
    Bd

ps. ozscott. Did you end up at the mines aswell?? laugh. We found ourselves trapped by gates in the sand mines on straddy. And another 4bie was coming up the rd. We thought aww ohh we are introuble now. But the miners just laughed and said these gates keep more people in than keep them out. They used it so much they even have it on a remote control (like a roller door).

BD - my brother and I used to play in the old mines off mt cotton rd - good articulation testers. As for straddie I didnt get into the mine, but the old roads there can be pretty chopped up. That red bulldust mixed with soft deep sand on some of the entry points of Main Bch have caught a few people, its usually second gear low range and about 4000rpm for the horses, to get through.

Cheers

Did someone say horses?? . Na, 2nd gear, high range, 2wd with rear locked is the GO. I havent tested my V8 out yet though. I have offered a few times on here hey. If anyone would like to come to a few very local tracks, just to see if they can make it. Im sure they will do alright if the hills are flat (with out any articulation required) And the good thing is they slowly get harder and harder. But i doubt many ifs will make it as they wouldnt have anywhere near the travel youll need for the harder ones. And many ifs's with dual lockers who have bragged about how good they are have rolled. (Attempting the harder ones). But i think most people will be surprised at what they can actually do. This 1 hill looks hard as... But i have made it many times in my old hilux and already know the lines to use. But i guess noone is interested.

ozscott - Do you know the hill i am talking about? on gramzow rd just after the tip, behind the driving training centre? 1 of many local small runs.
    Last edited by BenDover; 07-10-2007 at 01:42 PM.

I know the hill its not much of a challenge though,something like tower of terror at ormeau would be a great starting point.

Bastard - laugh, oh cmon mate. They dont have comp trucks. I just thought it would be a good starting point. Remember they dont have any suspension travel! But when i first saw that hill at gramsow, i was wrapped when my truck made it up (98 hilux ifs). Due to picking good lines. But what do you think? Do you recon standard pajero or others would make it up?

Ps. Mate let me know when your ready to do your V8 swap out hey. What model truck do you have again?

I have a 93 hilux ute,my apprentice has a short wheel base gq with 37" creepies and a rear locker and he picked up a wheel on that rutted section your talking about,he has 800mm of articulation.