Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Bassing at North Pine

Re: Good Bassing at North Pine

Quote Originally Posted by tazza_505 View Post
    It wasn't an excuse, just a question. It wasn't even me that said that.

I'll start by saying I don't want to be defended for this "attack". It wasn't an attack it was just an angler with more knowledge stating it would be a good idea to help the bass survive which was my/our goal in the first place. No one should be getting up or aggressive towards Mike for sharing his knowledge, as isn't that what this site is here for?
    You've hit the nail right on the head there Tazza. That's pretty much exactly the way I've read the thread. A couple of comments from more experienced anglers encouraging some obviously committed and talented young anglers. You've responded more than appropriately. And yeh Pete, the Kid's orright!! Just obviously a bit feistier than Tazza....And yeh, he should get his haircut, that things gonna need it's own postcode soon!!

Hey tiges you should see how big it is now hahha its freakin massive and i am sorry i got extremely worked up i was just peeved. thanks for the good advice fellers and i will try in the future to do so.

Good to see things have calmed.

Re- comments about how tough bass are. Please take a look HERE as I'm not rewritting it.
    Of all the fish dead in that hole, 307 were bass & 1 was a barra. There were / are other species in there, yet only bass carked it.

I've got hundreds of pics here of dead & dying fish taken immediately after bass comps. One of the guys mentioned about the "pros" holding bass up by their jaw only, the kids got a point. These so called "pros" should know better & most do but simply dont care. They all need a big kick up the rear end. Its the blame of some photgraphers who like to emulate the yanky style pics, they are killing these bass.

Why are we so concerned about fish handling?
    • A very good reason is that bass are almost twice as expensive as yellowbelly to buy, these fish arent delivered by the fish fairies & dont breed in lakes.

• Another reason is the fact that, in the growth rates race, bass are the worst performing species going. A 50cm bass even in the best lakes is at least 10 years old, a yellowbelly an get there in probably 3, a barra or cod in a little over 1, 2 years easily.
    • In the wild bass arent overly common. Bass anglers (& I mean wild bass anglers here) have a deep respect for the species after the effort that has gone into accessing the often remote waters.
    In short, we all know bass are one of the dumbest fish on fins; easy to catch & good fighters, that's why they're popular.

It just seems a waste for a 10 year old fish to die when it doesnt need to. I dont care if you cut their throat & eat them, that part of why myself and many other dedicated folks work our butts off to create, manage & maintain our fantastic lake fisheries.

Not on my high horse,, simply trying to explain why many dedicated bass anglers react to unnecessary improper handling.

Thanks folks,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Good work lads, where you fishing in the morning or late afternoon shift?

rayken 1938. raised a very good point...It would be great if one of you blokes in the know could start a thread on correct handling techniques, which perhaps could reappear every few weeks. As Tiges stated, a lot of people cruise through this site and the more the good word is spread the better. Whadyasay ???

Little Grey Men,
    Thats a fantastic idea what do you propose fitzy do it because he is a very knowledgeable fellow what do you reckon fitz

I seem to have learnt on this thread that maybe laying my fish down on the ground for a pic may not be such a great idea.Thanks for all that contributed, and in future if I must lay one down I will lay it on an old t-shirt or similar if I am fishing alone. I am sure that most here have the fish's welfare in mind when handling, but it is threads like this that help educate fellow anglers, myself included.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    Please don't take it the wrong way boys it's only constructive criticism and keep up the good work.
    Mike
    this was one of the most important points of Mikes post and the one which seemed to have been missed by many. constructive is the key and I believe there has not been anything in the posts thereafter that was not. No one need get defensive as there is no reason to be. no one belittled, no one's ego damaged, just some lessons learned. Its all good

cheers Roo.

A great idea. Am happy to put a few things down to assist, & i guess some reasonging behind it helps folks to understand why....

Then others can add their ideas to the pool. We should end up with a really goog bit of info for others to read.

Wont do it tonight but will do over the next few days.

Cheers,

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by orbyroo View Post
    this was one of the most important points of Mikes post and the one which seemed to have been missed by many. constructive is the key and I believe there has not been anything in the posts thereafter that was not. No one need get defensive as there is no reason to be. no one belittled, no one's ego damaged, just some lessons learned. Its all good

cheers Roo.
    Hey Roo,
    I guess I made some ( read "some" )of those comments without thinking them through. I suppose it stems from reading a past thread where a poor kid was slaughtered for keeping a very large bass on his birthday. The thread started off so happy and just ended in crap. Same kid posted a few months later and was brought back from the dead and slaughtered all over again for incorrect handling ( the comments were very harsh towards him ) It really got my blood boiling, I guess thats why I was quick to jump in.
    No doubt Mike did make his comments in a thoughtful manner, and the boy's handled themselves well, I just got a bit upset when basskid felt he had to explain his actions to another. But lessons were learned ( Thanks M62 )so as you said "it's all good"

And Fitzy, That correct handling techniques page will be avery valuable tool...lots of piccies would be great, I'm sure I could gather some incorrect handling photos for you ...well actually perhaps they'd be better off at the bottom of the drawer for ever.
    Last edited by Little grey men; 11-10-2007 at 09:15 AM.

Great session boys, keep up the great work!!!

I like the sound of the new thread explaining correct handling techniques as it means great reports like this will no longer turn into arguments/disagreements about peoples handling techniques. I am sure almost every member of this forum (if not everone) would have a high level of respect towards bass and other target species which is why so many practice catch and release. It is also why every member on here follows rules and guidelines concerned with correct fishing practices. It is people who are not members of this forum, the people who take undersize fish, jenny crabs, steal crab pots, cut ray tails off etc that get me annoyed. The information put forward was all valuable, but I think it will be far more productive once it is put in a new thread for all to view.

Once again, well done on the interesting report and great photos guys. It is reports like this that make the site what it is, so keep it up!!!

obviously the most vulnerable part of the fish is the eye. I agree that it would be better for the fish not to come in contact with course dirt and rocks, grass is probably the best thing naturally. gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.. flip the spool lay the rod against your shoulder or hold it in your mouth and take a quick selfie.. not always easy but possible. at least you boys are conscious of the right things. I fish north pine landbased too, just live around the corner do you ever fish the really deep part west of the dam wall? - Joel Purssell

All the haters are just jealous, ignore their remarks and continue on doing it your way. Nothing like a miserable old F#$% to ruin a perfectly good post.

Gees imagine being these old miserable guys kids on their first fishing trip, they would be over the moon with their first fish they caught but hold it wrong or something and then cop a lecture for the next 2 hours of the trip.

No one likes a post saying how many fish they caught and no photos!

Geezz fellers, this tread is over 3 years old!!