Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Bassing at North Pine

Re: Good Bassing at North Pine

Great report guys & well done on some great fish!!

For the record, laying a fish on anything dry will remove the fishes protective slime coating, worse if its hot. This WILL damage them, anywhere from an infection of fungal outbreak to possibly death in a few days to a week.
    They will swim away, but the damage is done. I've studied fish captured & kept in tanks, can even see fingermarks from them beig held with dry hands.

Now its up to the individual if you do or don't want to care for the fish, you can kill & take 2 fish. Thats the law. At days end, they're stocked fish, not wild, however bear in mind that a 50cm lake bass from NPD is probably around 10 years old.

Cheers,

Fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Fishytales just about every State Gov & large rec fish stake holder has a code of practice on handling fish to be released, these are all baced on hard scientific research. One of the best is ANSA, link below. And just because they swim away it doesn't meen they're fine.
    http://www.info-fish.net/releasefish...ANSA%20COP.pdf

Basskid if you only ever put a fish in the dirt because there is no one else to take a snap how come there's a photo of 2 rods & 2 bass laying on the ground.
    How hard can it be to take along an old rag to wet to lay the fish on or is a good pic more important to you than the health of a bass that's been living for 1/2 your life time. And Tim not having time because you're catching too many fish is no excuse.
    Reading your past posts I know you guys respect these fish from from NPD and I love seeing the big bass, I just don't like seeing them laying in the dirt.
    And instead of wishing, Harry's not too hard to find, just look for the email address any add for one of your favourite lures, you know the one.
    Harry is gunna kill me!
    Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Delisser; 09-10-2007 at 12:47 AM.

I have seen up to 30 fish kept in a holding tank for over 4 hours, they come out looking like shit but they still swim away like fresh fish. I have been told by alot of people that if you cover the fish with a wet towl for a while they stop flipping around thus minimizing any damage to the fish.

I haven't fished North Pine dam, where is it? and is there a ramp?

Great report
    Mitch Calcutt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    well said Mike. My thoughts also. Better put yer flak jacket on 'cos yer gunna get nailed for that by the thought police here.

Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy
    I think these boys are the same as all of us, we have stressed out our fish for one reason or another at that age. as long as they learn from our comments to them then thats great.
    I've had bass in tanks that i cought and left in a half full esky for 3 hours. They did get white mold on there fins that went away after a couple of days. Bass are a harty breed.

G'day Mitch,
    North Pine Dam or Lake Samsonvale is on the West side of Petrie, Brisbane Northside. I don't think there's any boat access at the moment. When you can boat there It is done on a type of ballot system with only 100 boats a year with electrics only ( Please correct me if I'm wrong people ). I've only been fishing there for the last six months and I'm loving the place..very easy to fish.
    I fished on the Condamine for years and when I moved to Brisbane I thought my freshwater days were numbered, but I've gotta say, after catching my first bass out there I was hooked.....If only they stocked the place with Murray Cod, I'd be in fishy heaven

Interesting reading about the handling techniques, I usually lay the fish in the grass if I want a photo. I wonder if this would be doing them too much harm.

And c'mon you blokes, I'm all for constuctive crtitisism but some comments are better suited for pm's possibly.. nobody likes to be belittled.

yes thanks little grey men after reading all of the posts i have found alot of intersting facts perticaully all of the people that write comments about fish handling are fairly old or adults and the people that write the comments only write when kids put up the reports which gives me the s***s because alot of skilled anglers do the same. me and tim put a report for a good read not to start a argument about fish handling do it somewhere else please.

M62 the only reason why there were two of the bass on the ground were because we had a double hook up and we brought them in at the same time and it was better to take a quick snap instead of leaving one on the ground and the person holds one up AND VISE VERSUS TO SAVE WASTING THE FISHIES TI9ME OUT OF WATER SO WE WERE THINKING OF THE FISH. and we still get nagged at that please pm me if you want to argue dont wreck our post

Swearing removed by Fitzy..
    Last edited by Fitzy; 09-10-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: swearing

Hey Basskid, I wouldn't take it too hard mate. I can understand where these blokes are coming from. As long as it is done respectfully I wouldn't have a problem with it. M62 has some good ideas, one of which I will use on my next trip ( the wet rag to lay the fish on ).
    People just have to remember that information or ideas offered in a gentle and respectful way are usually retained and easily accepted.
    The older blokes probably do make the comments but that's just what us older blokes do...now go and get a haircut

Look's like some red hot bassin' sessions there lad's, well done. I gotta admit I often cringe when I see pics of bass laid out on hot dirt/rocks. I hardly think that M62 and others have been belittling and nasty with their constructive criticism boy's. And if they limit the feedback to PM's then how will other people perusing these reports find out better fish handling techniques that they may have been unaware of. You'd be surprised how many people see these reports, it's easy to think that it's just the few who respond in type. But there's a shiteload of guests and registered users who don't post, and if the unaware among these learn some good fish handling then all the better. I can tell you lads are good fisherman and have real concern for the health of the fish you capture. So instead of getting your knickers in a knot, take it on board and improve your fish handling skills for the benefit of not only others but yourself in the long run.

Later
    Tiges

Its always in the bass topics.....
    Everyone believes that the poor little bass cant survive at all.....

It must be a terrible thing to stick a mouthfull of trebles in their mouths....
    How do you bass boys live with yourselves...

I have seen bass roll over spillways,bruised and battered and the next day they are belting lures and fighting like demons!!!

Basskid...Good photos and good fishing mate...keep em coming!!

Pete

Good points raised there Tiges, all of these handling issues are very important, but I still think that these things can be handled with discretion. It seems to me as though the boy's are having to defend themselves which just doesn't sit well with me

I reckon they're a hardy fish too Pete, but why increase the potential damage to a fish beyond the actual hooking and fighting distress they go through? If you wish to release a fish, and it doesn't matter whether it's a bass or a trev or whatever, it makes sense to me to get it back in the water in as good condition as possible. Wanting to measure and document etc fish isn't an excuse, if people wanna do stuff like that then I reckon the onus is them to minimise the impact from the extra time out of the water. Remember what is catch and release to us, is torturing poor defenseless animals for our own enjoyment to others (which is a whole nother thread in itself).

Hi Bass kid,
    I’ll bet you never expected such an overwhelming response to a report of a great mornings fishing.
    Firstly: it was a great report written by what appears to be a very keen and knowledgeable young angler.
    Secondly; you are not expected to know everything the day your borne, learning comes with time and that’s something you have a lot of.
    Thirdly; the only real studies performed on Bass took place in a controlled environment (eg) a bloody big tank. The environment Bass thrive in is a natural echo system with countless numbers of physiological changes every day and over every meter of water. What I’m trying to say is, I very much doubt the time your fish spent on dry land would cause any injuries the fish wouldn’t recover from. Bass do get a white mould growth on there fins when injured, in a tank just add sea salt, in the dam some other natural element will most likely cure the trouble.
    Its all constructive criticism meant to greater your understanding of whatever it is your supposed to have done wrong, which I might add you haven’t.
    Looking forward to reading about your next trip.
    PS , If you want to fish Hinze one day just drop me a line and we will T it up.

Mitch Calcutt

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    And Tim not having time because you're catching too many fish is no excuse.

Mike
    It wasn't an excuse, just a question. It wasn't even me that said that.

I'll start by saying I don't want to be defended for this "attack". It wasn't an attack it was just an angler with more knowledge stating it would be a good idea to help the bass survive which was my/our goal in the first place. No one should be getting up or aggressive towards Mike for sharing his knowledge, as isn't that what this site is here for?

Quote Originally Posted by tiges View Post
    I reckon they're a hardy fish too Pete, but why increase the potential damage to a fish beyond the actual hooking and fighting distress they go through? If you wish to release a fish, and it doesn't matter whether it's a bass or a trev or whatever, it makes sense to me to get it back in the water in as good condition as possible. Wanting to measure and document etc fish isn't an excuse, if people wanna do stuff like that then I reckon the onus is them to minimise the impact from the extra time out of the water. Remember what is catch and release to us, is torturing poor defenseless animals for our own enjoyment to others (which is a whole nother thread in itself).
    Tim,
    agreed totally.
    I think the point some people miss though on this site is that people take photos for the enjoyment of others....I know I love looking at other peoples catches and photos they take be it a bream or black marlin.
    The basskid probably has a thousand pictures of Bass and wouldnt have been taking the photos for any other reason than to share with other fishos on this site.
    I reckon its bloody great that he makes the effort to do a report and include pictures.He is a great contributor.
    There just seems to be some people on here that just love to jump in and are very quick to criticise......(Some of which never make contributions themselves and only do so to criticise).
    Remember that we are allowed to catch and KILL two fish every time we go fishing and given the amount of fishing time the basskid has he could if he wanted to go and legally kill two every day of his school holidays......Likewise so could I and given the amount of time I have.. ....I could kill plenty.We all choose not too.
    So all I am saying if the basskid lays down a bass for the sake of a five second photo when you put it all into perspective it aint that bad.
    Thats my opinion anyway.

Pete

I think that is is good manners if you disagree with something that someone says or does in a post to just take it up with them in a PM and not to have a public spray.
    It only reflects on the forum as a hole and you personally.
    If you have something to contribute why not start a new thread such as " The correct way to photograph and handle a fish before releasing"
    That way everyone is educated and no one is hurt.
    I think that these young blokes are putting in the hard yards and congratulate them for their efforts and great sharing posts.
    They are not afraid to share and learn.
    You do not see went to spot X in their posts or references that they do not wish to share in case someone else will come along and catch all their fish.
    Good on you boys keep it up.

Ray
    Last edited by rayken1938; 09-10-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling