Thread: Spearfishing equipment advice

Spearfishing equipment advice

Hi all, I am looking to get back into spearfishing in a smaller way (read I am older now) it's been 10 years since I speared a fish.

If I plan to spend $300 will I be able to kit myself out with a good Mask, boots, flippers and basic gloves these days? Any advice on specifc brands or models welcome as i am way out of touch.

Also I need to buy an aluminium handspear for the meantime, can anyone direct me to a brand or chain store place that sells ones long enough to bother useing, not those too short tourist type of Aluminium handspear, think the useable ones were 9 foot or more in lenght.

thanks fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 02-10-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Re: Spearfishing equipment advice

hey mate

try www.spearfishing.com.au

all the answers you need.

dude, spearfishing equipment is pretty dear. I set myself up a few years ago for a grand. Good guns are around 400 bucks alone

Thanks for the replies, I had a look at that site, too much of a learning curve to find something that meets say the quality of a penn but without paying shimano prices so I dug out my old gear and I think it will still do, the flippers need a new strap and the masks has yellowed but both seem use-able, was good gear in their day so they still are I suspect lucky I paid the price then, late 80s early 90s I think

So only need boots and a suit if my stomach feels like it's hangin and naked also something to have a basic shot with, don't want a gun yet think I will be busy enough trying not to black out than bothering with one of those in the short term.

Will revisit the question later I think.

Thanks fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 03-10-2007 at 12:11 PM.