Thread: Stanage Bay

Stanage Bay

Heading off for a couple of weeks. First stop Stanage Bay as never have been there. What is it like for land based? After that will look at the creeks south of T'ville. Barrattas, Haughton , Morrisseys, Inkerman, Molongle. Any info on these would be appreciated. Bill

Re: Stanage Bay

Bill, want to go to stanage bay myself sometime in the future so keep us informed on how it was(7 meter tidal runs). Haughton and Morrisies is fishing ok. Do you have a boat or fishing from bank? Where are you comming from? If you are land based I may be able to take you out in my boat if I am in town when you are around here. (work away from town) Regards Shane.
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

Hi Shane, From west of Rockhampton but will leave Rocky next Monday. Stanage is the only certainty at the moment. We like to wander & stop at any quiet spot we find. Are self contained for up to 2 weeks so the quieter the better. No boat this trip so will be bank fishing only. The cook has never fished so will be a teaching trip also. Have a brother in T'ville so will probably call in there.. Those are the plans at the moment. Prospected all the creeks south of T'ville a couple of years back & liked what I saw so now I'm finally going back. Will try to post as we go. Bill

G'day Freefish,

Stanage bay area has a quite a bit of headlands and rocky outcrops that are accessible via land or by foot. Talk to the guys at the boat shed and the pub at Plumtree to get directions for some of the more remote areas south towards the military area. I have fished these areas both on land and via boat and are well worthwhile. I would definitely be talking to the guys at the shops before heading out, sometimes people that live in remote areas are quite funny about strangers on thier lands.

Looking at google earth will give you a good indication of the areas you will want to be accessing, print out a few areas and show the guys at the shops and they will know who lives near there and if its accessible.

The fishing can be bloody good right thru to bloody bad, I've fished the same areas during the same preiod of the yr 6 yrs in a row and had two shockers not catching a thing in 4 days and the other end is coming back to camp cuz ive got bored catching and releasing fish.

Take decent gear along with you, BTR3500 would prolly be my minimum reel size around the headlands and i am sure i would be left wanting when the spaniards come thru.

Jack.

Well, if your from West of Rocky, you know about crocs. never did see any over a few days in Thirsty Sound, but they are supposed to be there, there is one in the Bohle at T'ville - locals should be able to help out re creeks Sth of Tville

Bill
    I just returned from my first trip to Stanage Bay 2 days ago. Only stayed a couple of days as it was a exploring trip of the coastline. I fished landbased on a couple of rocky outcrops & did OK (bait, plastics and hardbodies). There are PLENTY of areas that look great so ask around at the Plumtree store & also the tackle shop.

BIG tides so don't get caught. Hope you enjoy it, I certainly did and now that I've seen the area, plan to return for a longer stay and a serious fishing holiday.

Paul

PS - It's a spectacular place and the road in is in good nick at the moment.

Thanks all. Does anyone know if there is any where to free camp at Stanage as we prefer to be off by ourselves. Bill

theres a free camp site opposite the bait and tackle store, you need to be self suffient though, ie bring in water.
    also down near porters creek there are some great camp sites. just dont annoy digger! hes a friendly old bloke who rocked up one day and never left.
    theres been plenty of crocs sighted up there lately, mainly down near the herbet river and in big sandy. but there is also a pair in the bigger creek mainland side of egg island.

cheers

lippa

Sorry to jump in on your post fella's, thought i may aswell use this one instead of starting another......i'm heading up to stanage next sunday and am just wondering if anyone's been up there in the last couple of weeks if so what was the fishing / crabbing like??????????