Thread: Winter whiting in spring?

Winter whiting in spring?

G'day

Just wanted to check if anyone has caught or knows if the winter whiting are still on? Wanted to take my kids to get a few but not sure whether they would have moved on yet. Want to try around Green Island area.

Skipper
    Ontourfishing

Re: Winter whiting in spring?

No one chased or heard of any winter whiting lately?

If you plan to stay in close try around the darcy light out from manly or around the bishop island (south of the rock wall from the brissie river) or if you want to head out a bit further try the rous channel , i have had luck in these area's in recent times .

good luck

regards
    Maverick1

There has been some nice ones caught in the last few days off Margate Beach near Redcliffe.

Thumbs up Re: Winter whiting in spring?

Just wanted to say thanks to the 2 lads that gave me confidence to still try for winteries. Was forecast too windy to take the kids, and I only got out late morning, but after catching nearly 30 undersize squire in the first hour, I suddenly found a patch of winteries and caught one after the other in 20 mins, before the northerly blew too strong and I had to head back to sure.

Found it interesting that the fish came on despite the strong northerly, disputing many of the theories on the northerlies and whiting thread.

Fish were caught W of St Helena.

They went down a treat tonight with some hot chippies and icey cold XXXX!

Ta again lads.

With regards to the Northerlies being no good, it does depend on the area that you're fishing in.

Having said that though, the part of the bay that Saint Helena is in is in an area that Northerly winds are bad and Westerly winds totally disasterous.

You will find though that you will still fish as per normal if the winds have just flared up. It normally takes half a day or so after a wind change to totally stop the action. And a northerly in this location won't totally stop the action. Although a westerley blowing for a few days certainly will.

If it ever gets too rough in the bay for a fish, another spot which is quite good for whiting and where it is sheltered is between the railway bridge and the old round houseboat in Tingalpa creek. It is a high tide spot only unfortunately.

Hope this helps

Louis