Thread: barracuda

barracuda

hi , i caught a nice 12lb barracuda the other night down at the rockpool (townsville) ,i was goig to return it after a great fight and some arial theatrics, but met a yank who said they were good eating at that size , so took it home checked it for worms etc then we had 4 big fillets thrown on the bbq, i have to say it was as good as any other fish ive tried. nice and meaty like mackeral and well worth a try if anyone else hooks one!!!!!!!

Re: barracuda

Mate large barrcuda can be cigutera poison carriers so i would not advise you to eat them at all.Dan.........

so can mackerel but people still eat that ,so how do you know for sure?????

I always thought the same thing about cudas that they carry cigutera i dont think every single one would have it, but i wouldnt want to take the risk and find out,12pound sounds like a good size fish.

I seem to remember from somewhere that a test kit has been developed for ciguatera.

Just like a home pregnancy test - except the fish doesn't have to pee on this one.
    Wipe the flesh with the test strip and wait the required number of minutes.

No reaction - safe from Ciguatera.

Although, I could've been dreaming it all

I heard that, as well. However, it seems that the kit has not been developed due to high costs, etc. Too many bones in them for me.
    Got a 1.3m 'cuda a while back.