Thread: Outrigger Guide alternatives

Outrigger Guide alternatives

Help Please,

I have a 6.7mtr Hooker Centre Console with 2, 11.5 ft Fibreglass Outriggers with Glass Guides.

The problem that I have is that I run to the fishing grounds with the riggers on the floor of the boat and therefore find the glass guides too fragile.

Has anyone got an alternative to Glass that will be practicle and also durable?? I am on Thursday Island so if you could tell me where to buy things from as well that would be great.

Cheers

Ben

Re: Outrigger Guide alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Stratto1 View Post
    Help Please,

I have a 6.7mtr Hooker Centre Console with 2, 11.5 ft Fibreglass Outriggers with Glass Guides.

The problem that I have is that I run to the fishing grounds with the riggers on the floor of the boat and therefore find the glass guides too fragile.

Has anyone got an alternative to Glass that will be practicle and also durable?? I am on Thursday Island so if you could tell me where to buy things from as well that would be great.

Cheers

Ben
    I made some stainless for ours we had the same prob just got some light rod and welded them up now no probs

Cheers MJF

Mate, I bound some tiny stainless saddles on and put little bubby pulleys on them each end and a stainless rod guide in the middle.
    I'll get a picture later if you like.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

On my 6M Hooker I travel with outriggers on the floor. My Guides are rod guides bound.

A also use two fenders to rest the outriggers on so they don't rub.

If the conditions are reasonable I travel with them straight up

Al

get the stainless rings with a thread on the end from a boating shop (witworths have em), drill right the way through the riggers and use the rings witha Nyloc nut on the other side, a bit of glue will stop them turning around. Go for a walk and check out the set ups on some game boats, alot of them use this method.
    Last edited by jeffo; 29-09-2007 at 07:46 AM.

Got some pictures

Finga, They look awesome. Dont tell me you bound the whole poles???? Neat looking set up. I am not sure if I have the patience for it though as ot looks like you have spent some serious time there.

Jeffo,

I though that this may work but I was worried about drilling the glass and weakening it. If you have seen it on the game boats them I am sure they know what they are doing. Thanks for the advice.

Alan,

Mate I would love to see your set up. Can you flick a pic or 2 of what you use.

Cheers Stratto

Finga, thats a nice job on the binding . How far up the pole did you go with the binding?
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

Quote Originally Posted by Willow1 View Post
    Finga, thats a nice job on the binding . How far up the pole did you go with the binding?
    Thanks fella's
    8" up on the bottom
    6" down from the top and
    5" in the middle where the telescoping join is (I also put a small guide here to try and stop some slop in the clip lines.)
    Yep, a lot of binding. All double under and over bound. About 6-700m of thread and took about 2 days on and off

You'll probably find the outriggers the charter guys use are a lot thicker up the top hence why they sometimes drill and use eye-bolts.