Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to stop a mate from fishing light

Re: How to stop a mate from fishing light

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooChile78 View Post
    I disagree I see it as a sign of my fishing progression that I am seeking more of a challenge with lighter gear and bigger fish...it takes a lot more skill and finese than just skull dragging a fish.

I used to use heavier gear but I found it no fun, no challenge any more. Who gets more kudos/respect? the guy that catches the 20kg fish on 8kg or 15kg line?

But I do see your point as well...it is your boat and it costs you for rego, fuel etc and you want to spend your time with your line in the water as well, not just driving around or deck handling for a mate. When I go fishing it is usually alone or with my wife so I can afford to do pretty much what I like.

Yeah everyone has their own slant, I used to be right into dirtbikes in the fishing off seasons, used to run 5k before and after work, gave up smoking, bought only the best bike/gear (couldn't afford it looking back) used to race like my life depended on it.

Some of blokes I used to ride casually with earlier on weekends away when they and I all had relative dungers are still and have never stopped riding but never really got into it like I did, now I keep thinking I should buy another bikeand ride slow for the fun of it - even on a dunger (wife will not let me).
    Looking back I was never into it like they were, I was faster and harder but they were acually way more into it than I could ever have been - but at the time I thought I was the commited dirt biker, they still do the weekends away together and I have not ridden a bike in 12 years

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 28-09-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ######### View Post
    Gee I fish 8kg or marlin but in saying that I fish 80lb braid when jigging for amberjacks and casting poppers for big Gt's line weight depends on the species and structure found where you catch them to determine what is sporting in my books.
    This is pretty well how I see fishing .... use the gear that is required for the situation .... I like to fish the lighter end of the scale ... Specially if the fish is going to be kept (no point fishing light for tag & release .. or just release .... If that fish is going to die from the experience) ..... I do have to admit a fight on light line is much more fun than skull dragging

Friendship is often about compromise!

So why not say "I need you to run heavy gear this trip because I want to bag out...But next trip you can fish light gear and we can target a few species that will really give you some work". Maybe a few long tail, Maccie etc... Just a thought!!

Regards

BilgeBoy

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    J.....these days if I put my rod in the holder to grab a mouthfull of water and the rod buckles over I will finish my drink first with one eye on the rod just to test if the fish will still be there
    Well, there's your problem ... WATER?

give him 20m of rope with a hook on it , lol , why dont you keep fishing while he pulls in and stop to land his fish ?

why not just accept that he likes fishing that way but say,

'Hey, my boat, I don't want you fishing too light but you do what you want. However, you hook your own fish, you land your own fish, and if you have on 300m of line and that fish is 301 meters from where we are anchored, you may need a spare spool of line because I am not moving, I am fishing!!!'

BTW I am actually on the side of light line, only once have I wished for heavier line.