Thread: Nets

Angry Nets

Finaly got back to one my favourite creeks (Mackay area) where I usually get a few barra after flicking some lures up the creek decided to head back towards the mouth and there they where 3 of them actually f*&%$ng NETS Oh well there goes all the breeders unless they swim around lol. should just sell the boat!!

Re: Nets

Sad ... very sad ..... I thought the Qld government was getting rid of Gill nets in the estuary systems .... Nagg

Wishfull thinking

Drift nets are still used here in the fitzroy also.

Is it any wonder that rec fisho doesn't get much in the river
    Cheers
    Mark

The worst part is, that it is the rec fisho's the govt and green groups blame for a decline in numbers, what I like to do is when I see a net acroos a river/creek, etc, I take photos of the postion of the net and try to find any identification marks somewhere along the net, record these in a dairy with date, time, location and any witnesses who can be contacted.

Once I have all the information I can gather, I send copies of these records including photos to the DPI, who, I believe since then, have been patrolling the local waterways a lot more frequently, I haven't seen a gill/drift net for a couple of years now, so I just figured that what I was doing was helping, and either illegal fishermen were being caught at it or the pros have been told to go elsewhere. Its that or the perps are getting better at hiding their gear....

I have been told by a mate who used to work for the DPI that if I do see one I should fell obligated to remove it, if it has no ID markings that is, but if I was caught by the DPI in doing so I would have a hard time getting out of chargesif there were no witnesses to say that I was only removing the net and not harvesting from it. Don't take my word on this though, as I said my mate used to work for the DPI a number of years ago, so he's info may not be 100% reliable.

Thing I hate is all our breed stock millions and millons of eggs go in just a few days of netting,and what happens to our 120cm plus barra they don't go back and they don't survive, salmon, trevally queenfish all get caught and for what, at the moment I think barra are feching 8 - 9 dollars a kilo what a waste,northern territory have limmited pros and more guides teaching people the right way and have a very high fishing future and here goes a godd one if you report a illegal net to the fisheries and there recover it and the net is in a reasonable condition they sell it to raise money?What a crock!!!Sorry but I think our fishing is on it's way out.

I would have been on to boating & fisheries like a shot......If they were illegal hopefully either they would be removed or the scum caught.

If they were legal..... no harm done.

cheers