Thread: Is jew season over?

Is jew season over?

Ive spent a dozen cold nights chasing jew with no success at all. I spoke with a top fisho yesterday who reckons the water is now too warm for jew, and I should spend my time chasing jacks.

I also saw a writeup in BandB saying what a poor jew season it was all over, as the salmon chased away the food the jewies eat. AT least Im not alone in my failure. I did have a lot of trouble finding live mullet in the last few months.

What does everybody else think? Is it a waste of time chasing jew in the seaway, and other GC areas, even on big moons after the rain?

cheers
    Andrew

Re: Is jew season over?

I have heard that they only like night and full moons etc...I got both of mine in the middle of the day!

They are big fish, they have to eat, they cannot stop eating for a whole season...so the question is, where do they go?? they may move around but they would still have to eat even if they have "shut down".

Sure fish are affected by seasons, tides, moon phases etc but if you know where they are and put a meal right in front of them...the should still go it.

Well that's my thoughts, for what they are worth...

Gee ... I would have thought that we are now moving into the Jew Season. Certainly in NSW that is the case ..... with fishing at its best from Nov - April .. Nagg

I live in Northern new south wales , Fr me jew season co incides with football season . With my biggest fish coming at the end , around the grand final . I have caught jew intermittently all year round , I have also had miserable years for them . But they do seem to be less common after footy season until high summer .. Where do they go ??? Who knows . I dont even want to know .

Well i know a spot where i catch them nearly every time i fish there and im not targeting them, but only one or two. Any full moon or just after a new moon all year around. Im sick of eating them, do you guys eat them?? Some people dont..

And there always between 12-16kg.

Quote Originally Posted by carpel View Post
    I live in Northern new south wales , Fr me jew season co incides with football season . With my biggest fish coming at the end , around the grand final . I have caught jew intermittently all year round , I have also had miserable years for them . But they do seem to be less common after footy season until high summer .. Where do they go ??? Who knows . I dont even want to know .
    No doubt that the biggest Jews come off the beaches during Autumn (NSW) .... My best catches (boat) have come from South West Rocks (Feb & March) ... & Off Broken Bay (Dec - March) .... Around the full moon ..... Nagg

My understanding is down south all year round and QLD in the cooler months. I thought they (the ones up north) migrate south during summer. Dean1 i have only caught soapies when targeting other stuff I'd love to know that spot your talking about. I eat them for sure.

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Dean!...my only question is where??? I love the taste of them and want to catch more...pm if you like!

The jew are there year round, you just have to find the holes they're residing in. they will move offshore to the reefs if thats whats tickling their fancy.
    Im in northern nsw which isnt to far from SE QLD so it shouldnt be to different from you guys and alot of the older blokes round here are saying it was one of the best jew seasons they've had for a long time.
    TheGecko, i also found there was a distinct lack of mullet, i dont know for sure but im leaning towards the beach hauling of the suckers.

I always used to target jew from the headlands after bream season, so I would fish places like Noosa headland from September through to Christmas. I'd put baits out for jew through the night and then target pelagics like mackerel. kingfish and tuna after dawn - and I caught heaps of big jew through those four months every year. The average size was usually about 14kg with a few over 20kg. They were caught on whole squid or whole pike in most cases.
    Cheers Freeeedom

G'day, I reckon the jew season is now over as the water temp is getting too high and they head off into deeper water. Had a look at the local coastline today and the water is as clear as it is going to get which works against the jews feeding habits of ambushing it's prey. You will still get jew but it's hard work unless we get rain or a big blow move into the area. I normally average a 100 plus jew every season and could almost tell you which day they move out of the river system from experience. I am going Bass, Barra and murray cod fishing from here on in to summer, might even have a few beers with the warm weather coming on. Cheers.

Very poor mulloway season here to date, can't say why exactly, although the beach haulers were reported to have taken a large haul from the mouth of the local (Bellinger) river back in sea mullet time, around mid June.
    Much to the dismay of the local amatuers, as you can imagine. Great to see our licence fees being used constructively, the Bellinger is a designated Recreational fishing Haven, but the haul netters can operate at the 'confluence' without a worry in the world!
    Yep, not happy!
    Hopefully next season will be better.
    Cheers!