Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HELP!! Dont laugh but I fish for mullet!

Re: HELP!! Dont laugh but I fish for mullet!

Hi Josh, those 2 big ponds about 500m E of your house hold fish too. You know the spot where everybody walks their dogs....Ive caught 60cm flattys there while the missus walked the dog, lol. They are connected to the creek by a pipe.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    Josh

Here's a rig passed on from my father-in-law many years ago and used very successfully by the extended family :

Incoming fishing line down to a swivel, round float on lower side of swivel, then about 20 - 30cm line leader tied down to an elastic loop (normal wide clothing elastic tied into about 50mm diameter - not a rubber band) and thence individually to about 3 or 4 very small hooks about 75-100mm below the elastic loop. Hint - tie the line to the extra hooks to the point where the incoming line arrives and not just the elastic loop itself.

On the small hooks, use a 'puff' of normal cotton wool and draw it across the hook a few times until you have a small bunch. No cotton wool available ? Use a bit of old white singlet on each hook.

To bait it, wrap the elastic band around a chunk of bread (day old is better than really fresh) watching that you don't hook yourself ! Extra note : if you a planning to use the whole loaf for mullet fishing, buy unsliced and cut it into slices about 30mm thick, then cut the slice into 4 to 6 pieces. Alternative - buy the "toasting" slices and cut the slice into 4 to 6 pieces. You need to have them large enough so that the bread extends outside of the elastic band so that it can "flake" apart in the water.

Before casting, dip the bait/bread in the water briefly to get it wet and you don't need a sinker.

Just watch the float and when it goes down, haul it in. It is quite likely that you will get multiple hookups once the mullet go on the boil around your rig. You will likely also get hit by bream if the mullet are scarce and you use it in good locations.

The chunk of bread will usually only last two to three casts but once the mullet are "on", you will most likely lose the rest of the bread in the elastic loop anyway.

This rig is great for kids as it requires no skill other than carefully wrapping the elastic band around a chunk of bread and being able to cast a line because the mullet catch themselves. ( And... no squishy worms for the girls to complain about ! )

The rig will have to be thrown away once the elastic stretches - typically once it has been wet for a while - but elastic is cheap - as are small hooks. Make up a few rigs at a time and just bin the old ones after use.

Doogle

Thanks champ! I basicly get the idea kind of it, have you got a diagram or something, still kinda hard to understand?
    I tried to do one of those 'thanks' post things but it says I dont have privledges or something any idea why anyone?!

Doogle mate i was wondering if anybody else has done that.Used to catch some monsters about 15-20 years ago with the same method.Great fun seeing the mullet go nuts all over the the floating piece of bread and then bang one falls for the white piece of fabric.Used to catch the big sea mullet that had come straight out of the ocean with the method.Haven't seen another method that is so effective on the sea mullet.Ben

Quote Originally Posted by the gecko View Post
    Hi Josh, those 2 big ponds about 500m E of your house hold fish too. You know the spot where everybody walks their dogs....Ive caught 60cm flattys there while the missus walked the dog, lol. They are connected to the creek by a pipe.

Andrew
    Hey andrew ive seen people fishing there before but just laughed at them!
    I drive past there 3 times a day but it looks non tidal, water levels always the same?
    Do they both run off saltwater creek? Or does one leech off that the second pond leeches off the first pond if that makes sense.
    You can see in the picture one is a lot closer to saltwater then the other.
    You got me on a mission this weekend to check on these spots from google maps

......check the google image below ive circled them below, theres most likely nothing there but i doubt anyone has ever tried so I'll give it a crack on the weekend.
    Last edited by Joshstarrr; 04-10-2007 at 12:21 AM.

the ones you have circled you cant fish in there cause its part of the golf course and there is a fence there.

Josh

I quickly made up a rig to photograph but the fishing line doesn't stand out too well on the photo. I have made up a quick drawing that details the rig and have included it too. I have captioned both to make it easier to make them up.

The elastic is about 6mm wide and you need about 200 to 250mm of it per rig. I crosschecked hook sizes and I typically used #9 on my rigs.

Use about 20 - 30cm of line between the swivel and the elastic loop then 75 - 100mm to each hook. When you tie off the incoming line, use the "free" end to attach one of the hooks. Add another piece of line and tie it off around the mid-point onto the knotted loop (through the loop too) and add the 2nd and 3rd hooks to each end.

Refer to my previous post under "HELP!! Dont laugh but I fish for mullet!" for a textual description.

I usually keep a couple of these made up in my tackle box (as well as extra elastic and some cotton wool) and kept in small ziplock bags to avoid tangles and getting hooked. I gave the last of the pre-made ones to my daughter and son-in-law to use this weekend in Mooball Creek at Pottsville - always a good spot to catch poddy mullet when the tide is flowing strongly either way.

Doogle
    Last edited by Doogle; 05-10-2007 at 08:13 AM.
    I have the time and inclination. Now, if only the fish would cooperate !!!

Would a bait jig with a light sinker on the bottom, and a float just above the top hook work? Could put a piece of bread on each hook, but I would think the little feather things would be enough ...

Quote Originally Posted by username_taken View Post
    Would a bait jig with a light sinker on the bottom, and a float just above the top hook work? Could put a piece of bread on each hook, but I would think the little feather things would be enough ...

yeah that should work

username_taken, thats exactly what i used to use in the canals for mullet. Used to get them from poddy to big sea mullet!

Good day mate,
    Another good berley for mullet consists of chicken layer pellets,bread,a dash of tuna oil and a little water.Soak the pellets in the water and oil,then mix in the bread when the pellets soak up the liquid.Works a treat here in Tassie
    Cheers
    Reidy

What about a net (cast net or drag net) alot easier lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Little grey men View Post
    Met an old bloke in Ballina who used to swear by bacon rind as good for mullet.
    Never tried it myself. Actually not sure if it's even worth trying as he used to also pee his pants on a regular basis and yell at the fish.
    Steve Mulholland or Bob Gibson?

Hi
    i mite try ur spot josh.

just a quik question:
    how far will large mullet travel downstream? I live near a creek in carindale (brisbane) and was fishing once and a frend caught a massive mullet. never caught another one again.
    wat is the best season and time of day to target these mullet??????
    ur luky josh! gr8 spot.

me and my mates go down to this little creek brizzy northside to catch mullet and there are tonnes of em. and its bout 5 mins from my house. mullet are great fish to target, i prefer dough as bait.

cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitohbill View Post
    Steve Mulholland or Bob Gibson?
    Name was Harry, this was about twenty five years ago while I was holidaying with my parents.