Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Johno 110HP startup

Re: Johno 110HP startup

Thought I better add, where people go wrong with ether spary is too much spraying not enough cranking, only spray while it is cranking so as to not load up theengine with WET as opossed to atomised ether.

cheers fnq

The good old "go you stink rotten muddr fu" Be care ful with aurostart, went to a maching thet had a couple of tins sprayed into it once (wont start because the crowd lever was engaged and was lifting the relief valve) it knocked for 20 minutes after I got it going, operator said he didnt spray areostart until I pointed out the 2 empty tins sitting beside the air cleaner.
    This is the engine you done up, isnt it ?
    I wonder wether it has a crook top or bottom crank seal and sucking air, maybe starting at home because of the less back pressure, possible still have less back pressure in a drum that in the water proper.
    cheers
    blaze

Hi Guys.

FNQ - Detailed post - thanks I needed it. AS you may be aware I am "Smelly" - that legend of a guy who performed heart surgury on this donk last XMAS - which inlcuded replacing both stats - (Blaze knows the pain I have gone through).

I have checked the ramp - yes there is a tap available. How long does it take beofre the donk cools substantially not to warrant warm anymore?

I reckon I could run it for 5 mins on the muffs at the ramp and then spend the next 5-10 mins loading back into the water. Is this too much time lag?

SPlash

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Hi Guys.

FNQ - Detailed post - thanks I needed it. AS you may be aware I am "Smelly" - that legend of a guy who performed heart surgury on this donk last XMAS - which inlcuded replacing both stats - (Blaze knows the pain I have gone through).

I have checked the ramp - yes there is a tap available. How long does it take beofre the donk cools substantially not to warrant warm anymore?

I reckon I could run it for 5 mins on the muffs at the ramp and then spend the next 5-10 mins loading back into the water. Is this too much time lag?

SPlash
    Yeah I go around in circles but get there in the end, concise is a nack I have yet to learn, I know who you are splash, from the day of your first post Your engine deserves a fine and long life and you deserve to actually go fishing for a change!

Probably not too much time lag, everything I say is subjective, just get it nice and warm on the muffs even if it takes 10min, the closer to operating temp the better, high flushing idle like 1000-1200rpm, have the boat near ready to back down whatever is the best you can do.

good luck and dont shut it of again until you have done a good run and are back at the ramp -I have every faith but just in case - it has been sitting for a while.

cheers fnq

PS hey Blaze how come that engine took so long to run well??

Thanks FNQ.

It has certainly been a journey! And, I won't give up on this donk !

What do u think about the "crook top or bottom crank seal" that Blaze referred to - Symptons?

do u think the fully warm engine will work? Do u think the time it takes to get the trailer backed into water and boat off the trailer will be too long before the enginee cools down after 10 mins of idle on the muffs?

SPlsh

Hey Splash,

I can't add much to the discussion here mate but know exactly where you are as I have spent a bit of time up in gove myself. I wish you the best in getting that donk running as there are some snodging places around Melville Bay to go fishing.

The only thing that I know which will simulate the backpressure from the sea is those silencers you can get to put in the exhaust in the prop.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Symptoms, are usually either a blown piston, rougher idle, harder starting, depends on how bad it is, on our engines it will only effect either top or bottom piston as each piston has its own private crankcase in these 2 strokes, with one carb supplying each side. Possibly not your problem in this instance though, doesn't mean it doesn't have a problem, just too early to tell yet, your odds are the same as everyone else who has laid up an engine for a few months - pretty slim but it can happen.

Why take the boat off the trailer?? at least until it is running nice and warm. 5 minutes would be ok, 10 at the outside - depends on how warm your engine gets on muffs, I remember you have holes drilled in the poppets - this helps to overcool the engine at idle. So just get it as hot as it will get feeling the engine by hand then back it down, just don't knock over a bucket of KFC under a tree first, do you have a KFC where you are?

cheers fnq

Hey FNQ, in Gove mate no KFC. He is in the NE corner of Arnham Land. It is a magic place to fish. I caught a massive Spanish off the beach one arvo with a couple of blokes on a beach rod, an Alvey sidecaster without a drag and using fresh Barracuda for bait. It was a hell of a fun time.

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Puff_Daddy View Post
    Hey Splash,

I can't add much to the discussion here mate but know exactly where you are as I have spent a bit of time up in gove myself. I wish you the best in getting that donk running as there are some snodging places around Melville Bay to go fishing.

The only thing that I know which will simulate the backpressure from the sea is those silencers you can get to put in the exhaust in the prop.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Hey Puff!

Can you elaborate on these silencers?

Also, you have any waypoints for gove I can test?

Thanks FNQ.

Havent seen any KFC buckets but have dodged a few black stumps and lumps of red raw watermelon that I thought contained pips...........

Yes, I did drill those holes in the stats - good memory!

Puff is right - fisher's paradise because it is not very fished out like some other places I know of around our big beautiful country...

It is not uncommon to boat a 20kg SPANISH - if you beat those sharkies...

Trout, sailfish, cobia - even tuna inside the bay! Now, you can understand why I am so keen to get out there and live my boyhood dream!

SPlash
    Last edited by Splash; 08-10-2007 at 08:25 PM.

no waypoints mate to share sorry. I was a fly in/fly out as a supplier to Alcan. I made a few visits a year, doing the bush golf and volleyball days as a sponsor and always made time to fish. Was mainly on the beach or around the jetty and the sailing club. Been a few years since I have been there though mate.

Info of silencer....
    http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_it...AbsolutePage=1

Maybe some of the guys with more experience on motor servicing may have a comment on these, I don't use one but they have been recommended to me for the back pressure to get the idle adjusted right.

Good luck mate.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thansk Puff!

Team - I have kept a can of "Quicksilver Power Tune" from Melbourne and ask if I can use this in place of the ether you refer. This stuff is a carburetor & engine cleaner.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Thought I better add, where people go wrong with ether spary is too much spraying not enough cranking, only spray while it is cranking so as to not load up theengine with WET as opossed to atomised ether.

cheers fnq
    FNQ - What u mean by "cranking"?

SPlash

fnq - what does the induction baffle on the front of the carbs?

The fishing sounds great up there, big spanish from the beach!

Powertune will not work splash, keep forgeting you may not have somewhere to pick up some ether spray but you shouldn't need it from what you have said.

Cranking is when you hit the key and the engine turns over. The baffle is the piece of kit bolted over the mouth of the carbs to keep noise down, looks a bit like an air cleaner but is not.

cheers fnq