Thread: trouble with fire line

trouble with fire line

hi
    need some advice .
    i ive 2 light spinning gear rigged for throwing soft plastics and light lures.
    had them for 2 years and have had great sucses with them .
    but the last couple of times ive been out all ive had is masive tangles with the fire line on the reels been a reel pain in the but .
    just wondering if its the fire line .douse it have a used by date and should i replace it .i dont think its the reels they seem to working fine
    if anyone has any sugestions would be great .

Re: trouble with fire line

I replace my fireline about every 6 months just as you do start to have problems with it longer you use it.. maybe replace your line if it's 2 years old..

Im still running fireline thats about 5 yrs old and don't have any real dramas with it. Once it gets a bit tangly i let it run out the back of the boat for a km or two and then wind it back on tight onto the spool again. I think its a falacy that fireline and other braids do not suffer from line twist, they do take a lot longer to show the effects of it but they do suffer from it.

Jack.

i havent had many problems with my fireline, the only thing is if it sits for a few weeks it goes abit hard and the first few casts it is alot stiffer than usual.

Mate just try and run the line between first 2 fingers on the hand holding the rod, this lets you feel every slight touch from the fish and also lays the braid evenly with tension, ie no loose loops.

I hold it until i start getting cuts on my fingers. I dont have any real drama's with any old line. I probably have 10yr old mono on my 650 alvey. It holds about 400 metres of 15lb line. Never have to change it.

Agree with Jack. Its like a good Red wine. Only gets better with age. Nearly casts itself after 5 years. Trolling it with a bit of weight definitly helps.
    En el amor y la guerra, todo hueco es trinchera.

A couple more suggestions...

If you are running a quality reel it will more than likely have a roller on the bail arm (where the line comes off the bail arm). These can get blocked up pretty easy and cause your problem. How are your guides...These can get hammered from being banged about boats and boots.

If you are getting knots in in your casts you could try to cast with the wind as apposed to against...Sounds stupid but I have noticed you get more tangles into the wind. The stuff is like cotton and doesn't take much to loop around itself. Frustrating I know!!!

Good luck with it

BilgeBoy

hi thanks for the help .
    i might replace the fire line on one of my reels and give the other sugestions a go on the other will post the results of my findings .
    great to get some good feed back thanks for the great ideas .
    ice break

Also make sure that your knot connecting your main line to your leader doesn't go back onto the spool when you've retrieved your lure/bait. When you make a cast the line can get caught in the knot as it comes off the spool and result in a big tangled mess
    Last edited by Leeann; 24-09-2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: reworded