View Poll Results: How much would you spend on a Bream/Flathead/whiting set up (rod and reel only)?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • under $100

39 13.68%
  • $100-$200

75 26.32%
  • $200-$300

64 22.46%
  • $300-$400

32 11.23%
  • $400-$500

15 5.26%
  • $500-$600

17 5.96%
  • $600 and over

43 15.09%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: How much do you spend on an outfit?

Re: How much do you spend on an outfit?

The first spinning reel I bought with my own hard earned was $180, that was in 1996 and was a Pinnacle (built by Silsar) It had 7 bearings and was amazing for me at the time. I retired that reel in mid 2006, replacing it with another Pinnacle. I replaced the Pinnacle this Christmas with a Sol. I won't be buying another Pinnacle... It's a pity as that first reel I flogged the piss out of - I guess that is the difference between Freshwater gear and Saltwater gear...

Rods I build myself so hard to put a 'price' on them as far as gear goes, but as a custom generally costs $300+ then that's what I'll call em for

Add a bit of braid and that is a $600 outfit but cripes they are nice to use!!!

Moral of the story, that old adage Penny-wise, Pound-poor.

[quote=PinHead;687248]i have a wilson live fibre rod matched with a 6" alvey...

Me too I have 2 of these have caught bream whiting dart and have had others use the gear and complement me on how nice it is to fish with

The estuary special in the 9 ft is what I use
    "light gear big fish big fun"

what do you consider cheap in todays market where tackle is on special every day at different outlets you could get a good set up for one fifty
    myself i think that a little more leads to a longer tackle life
    I have always had shimano bait runners 1500 3500 6500 but i bought them
    18 years ago and i use the 3500 for my bream real matched to a live fibre bream rod ive worn out several rods over the years but the real is still going strong i loaded it up with 15 lb braid and caught 6 nice snapper up to 4 kilo without a hint of a problem a couple of weeks ago so for me if i was going to buy another bream real it would have to be a baitrunner i think they are about 280 dollars and a live fibre rod 10 foot is 150 so for 400 dollars or so you will get at least 15 years of reliable service thats about 26 bucks a year plus hooks and sinkers so really its not dear fishing if you look at the long run
    coop

Quote Originally Posted by Flattie Assassin View Post
    Yeah, I won't go back to cheap gear either. I just invested in a Certate and GLoomis combo. $1000. Have a couple of Tcurves with twin powers etc. I don't think it's that big a deal. Look at what some other sports costs involved. Cycling is a cpl of grand for a bike. Jetskis, thousands.

So to set yourself up with some nice gear fishing wise, really isn't that expensive compared to other sports. Well worth it too.
    Yeh ..... but the trouble is that you end up with several $1000 combos ( Imagine if your missus spent $1000 each time on a pair of shoes ..... Phew what a thought! , Thank god I dont have to deal with that anymore ....... So that just means I can spend what ever I feel like on tackle Nagg

my estuary combo cost me $115.00 its a shimano symetre 2500 (rrp $140.00) and $114.00 for 7'2" shimano raider 2-4kg 1 piece(rrp $129.00) plus $23.00 for 6lb fireline for one spool and $40 for some 16lb braid for the spair spool. i thought i'd done pretty well then about 2 months later i stumble into the local tackleworld and see shimano stradic 2500 reels (rrp $230 i think) matched to a shimano 3-5kg 6'8" rods rrp same as above. being sold as combo's for $199.00. witch i think i'd consider a bargain even if i owned shimano oo with a saving of $161.00 if bought separatly for rrp. i dont need it so i quickly phone a mate who snaps it up quick time and hasn't complained since!!

I just purchased a Shimano Raider 7'6'' Bream finesse and a Daiw Sol 2500 spinning reel so all up it was

about $490

Thankgod for scholarship money

bream/whiting bait outfit = $280.00
    flathead trolling outfit = $220.00
    plastic/lure flicka = $330.00
    ect.
    ect.
    ect.
    and then there's offshore!

SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!

i bought a set of abu commemorative reels about 16 years ago still perf
    a 3500 bait runner 15 years ago used daily for bream fishing now i use it as a back up snapper plastics reel have bought those cheap shimano graphite rods work well 49.95 dearest reel ive bought is a shimano stradic 5000 for snap plastics does the job perfect a berkely drop shot rod 7 to 10 kg $100, and a strudwick blue water 8 to 10 kg $100 had no problems, did however buy 2 okuma overheads crap both reels broke down after 2 trips the line rewind cogs on both reels stripped.also bought a new okuma spinning reel and it was broken when i got it out of the box. most of my gear is at the lower end of the expensive market and has served me well with only a couple of probs over the 25 years of service. so dont be cheap skates and buy brand names that have back up and service your gear regularly .another thing cheap alloy chrome does not do the job and tend to corrode as you are using them, buy rods with good fuji guides and good reel seats .PERFECT BREAM ROD WILSON LIVE FIBRE. COOP