View Poll Results: How much would you spend on a Bream/Flathead/whiting set up (rod and reel only)?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • under $100

39 13.68%
  • $100-$200

75 26.32%
  • $200-$300

64 22.46%
  • $300-$400

32 11.23%
  • $400-$500

15 5.26%
  • $500-$600

17 5.96%
  • $600 and over

43 15.09%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How much do you spend on an outfit?

Re: How much do you spend on an outfit?

mate you can spend twenty dollars on a combo and yeah that will catch you a fish but if ya got the money to buy something nice you will definatly enjoy it alot more. go into your local and get the person to run through everything with you youll feel the difference

I spend way to much according to my wife.
    Marty.

I'm just glad you didn't ask what you would spend on a gamefishing outfit!!! My wife sometimes reads these forums , and boy would i be in trouble!!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

I will admit it...not much point me spending a cent on a spinning reel..I cannot even cast with them...absolutely useless with them...I have one but have given up on that idea of using it...just does not work for me...but then again...I probably have the title of the world's worst fisherman anyway.

For me i don't see the point in spending big bucks on my gear ($300+) only had 1 reel die on me. Still got all the rest still goin strong. Maintenance is the key for me.

F/W/B set up under $150.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

i spent too much on fishing gear i have a combo for every different fish i target, i just spent well over a grand for a new jiging rod i bought and i will only be useing it once a year for too weeks when i go on a holiday up north the one i bought last year cost around $1300 and i have only used it once up north, i think i will have to start selling them cause there collecting dust.cheers

Well i can see how all these tackle shops stay open

You don't have to sell too many $1000 rods to make wages.

then you know it not the basic rod & reel that make the tackle shop the money its all the other stuff to go with.

With a box of 20 or so $20 lures there's another $400.

This fishin lark can get expensive if you want to go that way.

I just baught myself a nice little spin outfit.
    A little ocuma zeon $50 reduced from $100 and put it on a 6'6" penn spin rod $28 reduced from $40

& its a nice little thing. $78.

now lets not talk about the line & jig heads and plastics to go on it

cheers
    Last edited by oldboot; 30-09-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    now lets not talk about the line & jig heads and plastics to go on it

cheers
    A $10-4" Alvey (already spooled) with an old $15 rod from the markets, a few 2/0's or 3/0's or some long shank hooks, a few swivels and a couple of sinkers and away ya go.....yabbi pumps are cheap too just like the live bait tank to keep them all alive and kicking...It's the 9litre bucket your supposed to carry in the boat
    All under $75 including the full tank of fuel for the boat and the paddle pop on the way home
    But I'm a tight --se
    Cheers all
    Last edited by finga; 01-10-2007 at 11:21 AM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Got quite a few $50 -$90 rods that are too old to remember when I bought them. Have also got the $150 and up carbon rods for light plastics and happy with both. I think it really comes down to your circumstances. My kids use them(not the carbon) when I am out of town working so I am glad I didn't buy carbon in the earlier days as the little monsters would definately have splintered them. The cheaper fiberglass ones have definately got a lot going for them if you throw the kids into the equasion . (very forgiving) Reels are a different matter, I still think you have to buy something decent and keep up with the maintenance . Cheers Shane.
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

IMO it depends on the style of fishing you are doing. Cheap stuff is great for bait fishing, but I would always spend more on a combo for lure fishing, particularly soft plastics.

I have a $40 combo I brought from K-Mart many years ago, caught heaps of whiting, flathead and bream on it using baits. But it is practically useless for SP's. It's fine for casting sinkers with reasonable weight in them, but hopeless for light jigheads.

IMO the most expensive part of a SP's combo should be the rod. Graphite rods crap all over fiberglass when it comes to casting light weights, and because of its stiffer nature, has better sensativity for detecting subtle bites. Quality graphite rods are lighter, therefore easier on the shoulders, neck and back when casting all day. My fiberglass combos would be painful for this sort of work, even the lighter ones.

For species such as those mentioned, you don't really need the best quality reel, although lighter is preferable for the reasons I have just mentioned. But I haven't had too many whiting, flathead or bream that have had the drag screaming. But even though the rod (the thing that really catches the fish) should in theory be the one area where you don't scrimp and save, I like most people will happily buy a quality reel, but then begrudgingly spend money on a rod.

You only need to look at the questions asked in these forums from people who have purchased a reel and would like advice on which rod to match it with, to realise that many people place more emphasis on their reels than their rods, which is perhaps justified for species that really put drags to the test, but less so IMO for the species mentioned here.

Agreed, Reels should be purchased after selecting the rod of choice.. I'm chasing a loomis 1-3 kg at the moment. Already have the reel, but it was purchased knowing it will go on this rod.

THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS....is what I'd like to spend..but I limit myself to $200 for a complete setup. Got to think of the kids and the house and saving for holidays,blah, blah, blah...you know the rest.
    My gear cops an absolute floggin'so I couldn't justify spending too much. I look around and try to find better gear on the cheap, takes a while but I'm happy with what's mine, besides, If I picked up an expensive little Diawa baitcaster my wife would smack my fingers so hard I wouldn't be able to pick my nose for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I thought I might start this poll here after reading a question about Jarvis walker equipment, I guess to try and give people an idea as to how much money one needs to spend on an outfit.

Now as I think there is a massive range of different fishing situations that require a similarily massive range of money spent on them, so for this poll, I will say, what isthe money you would spend on a bream/flathead/whiting outfit for the estuaries?

Sean
    If I have the time about a week - if I don't have the time it could be months to finish a rod - that what I spend
    Robert

You must be a keen Bream, Whiting and Flathead fishermen to be able to justify over $600! I used to use a basic alvey set up that would go for about $100 total but since I am moving to SP's I know have a Shimano Symetre set-up that cost about $250...I could not justify spending any more than that...I would be too scared of it getting damaged!

One thing I love about alveys...they are bulletproof...threadlines are so fragile...if I could use alveys for everything, I would!

im just starting to get into lure, sp fishing and have just bought myself my first set up. I limited myself to what i could spend as i just purchased another boat, keeping in mind im only 17 so $4500 on a tinny raids the bank a bit and left little for fishing gear.

i got a diawa strikeforce 6'6 rod for $50 off ebay along with a diawa regal 2000 for $65 off ebay also. for the moment i have only got some 8lb mono but it will do the job for now. my two mates both agreed that for what money i spent i got a pretty decent outfit. all up i think it was about $120

it should be right for chasing flathead,bream and trevally around the estuaries