Thread: Castnets in SA

Castnets in SA

As coming from cairns nq I always have used a castnet to catch bait for the days fishing and since moving down to Adelaide i was informed that the use of castnets here is prohibited.
    Is this correct, and if so how on earth do i catch my live bait down here, and is there a reason for it>?

Its a little weird to me that we can keep female swimmer crabs and not use a cast net for fishin bait.

Re: Castnets in SA

Hi Tim,

Thats right, no cast nets and its not just SA, WA is the same. I dont know about other states.

What would you be fishing for in SA that you need live bait for? Mulloway maybe but anything else you wouldnt need a livey. I guess if you had to have them, you could use one of those rigs with a heap of small hooks on it and try to get som small tommy ruff.

While it is legal to keep female blue swimmers in SA I think you will find that most locals return them to the water and only keep the males, at tleast that's how it used to work.

Cheers

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Tight line timmy View Post
    Is this correct, and if so how on earth do i catch my live bait down here, and is there a reason for it>?
    Jigging...............pain in the @ss

Yep, jigging would be the way to go. i think theyre banned in every state except qld and nt.

cuzza

We use livies for jewies and live squid or gar bfor kingies,
    Be aware in sa. your livies must be leagel length.
    For jewies use tommys or trumpeter(cut thier top fins off a touch) also salmon trout are top bait.
    You dont need jigs just berley and the right bait or lures.
    Cheers Steve