Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires... Hankook or Maxxis

Tires... Hankook or Maxxis

G'day

I'm due for more tires on my truck, 2001 dual cab tray back 4x4 rodeo turbo diesel.

Currently running standard 16x6 rims with 205/75/16 on it, looking to upgrade to some 225/75/16.

Here's the dilemma, I have a choice between Hankook RF09 and Maxxis Bravo 751.

Anyone have first hand experience with either tire or brand??

Pricing is the same, whats the stronger, better value a/t tire out of the 2?

Dave

Re: Tires... Hankook or Maxxis

Gday Dave, I can't help you with either brand as I ran Toyo A/T's on my old rodeo. Sorry I can't help you.

Cheers,
    Wags

i've had a set a maxxis, they were fantastic. a/t's
    a mate had hancooks and got 1/2 the mileage
    granted he was hard on them.

cheers

lippa

G'day

Thanks mike,

thanks lippa, was your mate doing a lot of off road driving? or running them at low pressures?

Dave

G'day Dave

Got a set of the maxxis on my 99 rodeo, done nearly 40 k on them and there is still plenty of life left in them.
    Mainly on road use but are adequate for the limted sand driving that i do.

Great in the wet, not an overly noisy tyre and would consider them again when time for new tyres
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Mark

I currently run Hankook RT01's. They are just about stuffed now after about 30,000 k's which sounds bad, but not really considering they are muddies and I do carry a lot of weight.
    What is bad is that although they wer fine when they were new, they have become considerably worse as they got older for noise and rough ride. Again, they are muddies, but I've had others that grew old a lot more gracefully.
    Overall not too bad for they money, but I've got a set of Bridgestone's ordered. I've had them before and I'd rather pay the bit more money.
    Can't help you with the Maxiis. Never tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

thanks lippa, was your mate doing a lot of off road driving? or running them at low pressures?

Dave

nah, just divin his 4b like an ss commodore, hes the only bloke i know that can get a 2.8d hilux to do a line lock!
    needless to say, his hilux has gone to heaven!

cheers

lippa

Had the hancooks on my landcruiser and put new Maxxis Bravo 751.
    4 weeks ago got nowhere near the milage on the hancooks not impressed with them.

Russell.
    Last edited by fishingjew; 20-09-2007 at 06:33 PM.

There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

G'day

Lippa, thanks again, he's doin pretty well to get a line lock out of a hilux of that aspiration,

Thanks on the mileage feedback mark, and russel

Dave

I reckon that you'd be better off to get tYres as the tires would cost heaps coming in from the US, shipping would be a killer

Back on track though, I'd go with the Hankook...quieter @ highway speed from what I was told.

Heres a helpful link.....
    http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
    Last edited by 4x4frog; 21-09-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lippa View Post
    i've had a set a maxxis, they were fantastic. a/t's
    a mate had hancooks and got 1/2 the mileage
    granted he was hard on them.

cheers

lippa
    So how many K's did you get out of them?
    I got Kelly Safaris now with 86,000 on them and will be up for a new set probably before XMAS. I am not overly happy with the Kellys , was looking at Maxxis, but I would be looking for at least the same Ks.

Have you thought of going bf AT's? In the size you want they should be fine. But in 35" most of them have big buldes in the sidewall. . It hasnt affected its balancing or k's though...

But im due for some new road tyres soon aswell. Do you know what sidewall each tyre has? out of the hankook or maxxis?
    BD

G'day

I started with kelly safari on my old truck, then went to BFG A/T, they were great.

Sizing is an issue, price is, but more so availability.

I went to a number of tyre dealers in underwood today,. there's ALOT of choices.... and each one told me a different story regarding height and width legalities, the best most informative were JAX and Good Year.

Most of the others have a she'll be right attitude, kinda makes you wonder how many vehicles out there not running on oem are technically illegal?

Dave

Tires......... ? you a yank Dave ?

Tyres... mate..... tyres.......

as for advice, mate sells maxxis, but only the extremem offroad stuff and swears by them, dunno about the 751's, but bloke at work has just put them on his navara and gives them the thumbs up so far. Great in wet.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

G'day

Thanks Phil,

I know it's tyres... The bloody spell check says it's wrong, so I changed it

Been looking at the american sites as well

Dave