Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Man !! Old Movie Who Knows It

Old Man !! Old Movie Who Knows It

When i was younger well a lot younger actually i watched a movie about an old man who went to sea fishing and hooked a huge marlin then he faught it for days before eventually returning with it.

I think it may have been titled old man ?

Sorry to bore you with this but i was wanting to know if anybody knows the name of it or where you can purchase a copy ?.

cheers Peter

Re: Old Man !! Old Movie Who Knows It

that would be the "old man and the sea" written by Earnest Hemmingway and the movie starred Spencer Tracy still see it on TV now and again, absolutley great Book, recomend a read.

The movie was called 'The Old man and the Sea' (1958) and starred
    Spencer Tracy.

Great movie.

saw it on fox about a month ago, great old movie, listening to the old fella and his struggle with not only the fish but his will to overcome it!

the basics of the movie is about an old man who used to be the best Fisherman in his Village, but for a long time now he had bad luck and not caught anything, so much so that the young boy who was his companion had to take a job on another boat, but the old man was not worried and went out further with his old cord lines and hooked the giant marlin, but he was so far out and could not get it in the boat, by the time he had sailed home the Sharks had eaten most of the fish, there is sort of some insight into the loneliness of the old man and the way he talked to himself in the boat,sorry to spoil it for you, but you said you had seen it!
    Last edited by Noelm; 20-09-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Ausfish Bronze Member

That reminds me of another great movie, it was called "Captains Courageous". Rather sad ending though but what a great story for kids and grownups in todays world. The story certainly taught true values are the ones that last a lifetime.
    Eagle

"The Old Man Of The Sea" was actually remade some years later and starred "Anthony Quinn" and is even better as it actually has alot more of a "Vocal" story line - and if u have seen the original u will know what i am talking about!

I thought it was a home movie with me in the starring role...

I think that movie was only viewed by just the one person...me and it was in my dreams though

Cheers Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

A beautifully written book , won the Nobel prize for literature 1954.

"He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the gulf stream and he had gone 84 days now without taking a fish........."

read it you'll enjoy it.

Rando

A great read. I had to read it at school and still have a copy. Another good read is The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark, if you can find a copy.

yes indeedy, it is a great book, very easy to read and well written ,really good for teenagers who only read as little as possible theses days, I got my son to read it when he was about 13 and he is now 21 and still drags it out now and then.

Yep another vote in favour of the book it from me. A classic, that once read sticks in the mind.

I've never seen the movie, but the thread has encouraged me to track it down.

Anyone who reads it will appreciate what a great writer he was (as well as a Fisherman) and I reckon that most who read it and like it should track down some other ones of his, then if you are still a "reader" try a couple of James A Mitchener, very similar styles and very easy to read especially "the adventurers" quite a thick book, but when you read it, you can find another person who has also done so, and ask them to describe a character, almost all will say the same thing, it is just so well written that you can "see" the characters just from words!

If you want to but a copy amazon.com has the book and movie
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

What a good response im glad a few people have seen it does any know where you can purchase a copy?

thanks for the input guys

Peter