Thread: where and how to catch squid

where and how to catch squid

just wanting to know where and how people catch squid as i love calimari

Re: where and how to catch squid

Yozuri squid jigs, on sand bottomed areas that have patches of weed or rocks. I have found dead sticking it provides the better results (slow amount of swell chop provides enough action).

Once your rod bends, don't rip at it like you would a fish. Pick it up softly out of the rod holder and slowly raise it. You'll know then if it is a snag or a squid. Slow retrieve it to the boat so you dont rip the little hooks out.

Once you have it in the net (leave it there) for a few seconds before bringing it into the boat. If you don't you'll get inked in the face a high percentage of times.
    Once it inks once or twice bring it in.

If you use it as live bait remember when fishing them back out that the ink recharges after a while and could get a second hit from it.

Hope that helps Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Oh if fishing at night, find area's with artificial lighting. Use as fresh as possible prawns with smallish hooks.

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

thanks man your a legend

Benny if your land based ,I hate to tell you but the season is all but over and it wasnt a very good one,you can still nail them if you have a boat .good luck Snas.
    THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Live life like a dog,If you cant eat it or hump it ,
    pee on it and walk away.

Are the quid still around in decent numbers this time of year?

Agree with Snasman - a very poor winter season for the land-based. If you have a boat then the weed beds on the flats along the inside of Moreton Island are the place to go
    Cheers Freeeedom

I hear that they are catching heaps in Busselton, you dont need a boat, just head out about 3/4's of the way on the jetty.

Cheers

Geoff

Where is Buelton? Never heard of it.

I don't know what it's like down south where most of you guys are from but we had a ripper of a squid season on CQ.
    With some monster cathes and great bait and of coarse the sweet sweet taste of calamari
    I fish the shallow reef coral patches for squid targeting an incoming tide with a prawn shaped jig.
    Get great deals on ebay under squid jigs, The ones that usally sell for $10 each i scored 10 of off ebay for $10 dollars with $5 postage so pays to search. Pro Shrimp are a cheap brand less then Yozuri
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

yeah, i gave some land based squiding ago this year without any luck. i spotted a few in raby bay, lost a big one at manly jetty. seeing you blokes reckon it was an ordinary season i will make an effort again next year.

JT, those are some gread squid. i grew up fishing keppel bay and the winter months rarely failed on weedy reefs around the keppels. we used to slow troll jigs, while casting to the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Custaro View Post
    yeah, i gave some land based squiding ago this year without any luck. i spotted a few in raby bay, lost a big one at manly jetty. seeing you blokes reckon it was an ordinary season i will make an effort again next year.

JT, those are some gread squid. i grew up fishing keppel bay and the winter months rarely failed on weedy reefs around the keppels. we used to slow troll jigs, while casting to the sides.
    I'm hearing you mate
    When staying on the keppels every years for 3 weeks we would score huge catches of squid
    And i'm not talking pencil fella's
    we got one 5 footlong one year, But again it was a very cold winter when we got him.
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)