Thread: Hinchinbrook Seymour River October

Hinchinbrook Seymour River October

Hi,

this is my first post to the site. I've found many of the posts and threads very interesting so a big thanks to everyone who contributes.

I’m planning a trip to the SeymourRiver on October 27. I was hoping to get some help on what to target, where and how. The tides for the day (at Townsville, I think it's similar at Hinchinbrook) are

Sat 27 Oct
    0257 0.23
    0930 3.49
    1554 1.04
    2112 2.82

The Saturday is the day after the full moon.

I was hoping to target barra, jacks, fingermark and would like to stay in the SeymourRiver or not too far from it. I like livebaiting, trolling or flicking lures so any help on what’s been most successful for others would be great. Also will set a couple of crab pots – is it best crabbing toward the mouth of the river or right up inside. I’ve fished here once before without any luck, and also had a lot of trouble finding bait (although I was on my own, I should have a partner this time around).

Thanks in advance!

Re: Hinchinbrook Seymour River October

Mate live bait in the seymour you can get on the sand just to the left of the mouth. there are a couple of gutters about 500m in on the left hand bank just past where the snags are and keep going in to the second creek on the left there is a nice mud bank here. if you can get over to the islands in the middle nice mullet can be found from time to time at the points. get your tides right once the water is in the mangroves no more bait and the seymour is a very shallow river so make sure you stay in the channels have fun and welcome to the site
    Stuie

keep an eye out for snapping handbags i've seen about 5 in this system
    Last edited by STUIE63; 19-09-2007 at 01:34 PM.
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

one other thought is if you're putting in at dungeness the mud bank to the right of the ramp is normally good for bait as well don't get too close to the point some snags to take your net
    Stuie

G'day bmh, welcome to the forum.

I reckon you may find that there is too much current on Oct 27 to successfully fish any of the creeks & rivers in the Hinchinbrook. I would personally fish the flats in the mid-section of the Channel with that particular set of tides.

I have found a tidal run (difference between high & low tide) of around 1 to 2 metres is the most productive for creek/river fishing, with two hours each side of LOW tide the way to go. You need some run but not too much. High tide usually means the water is in the mangroves & so are the fish - means ya can't get at them mate.

If you get a chance, come & see me at my Lucinda workshop & I will give you the low-down on this area.

Cheers - Lou
    Timber lures - just bung 'em in the water mate & hang on !!!

Use Lucinda tide times too. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the info. I think now that I may be best to fish further up the channel. I was thinking about attacking the creeks through the islands in the centre of the channel from half tide down and the sand flats on the northern end of that group on the top of the tide down and on the half tide up. Any comments on this plan??

Brendan

Definately go and see luigi
    Stuie

Cheers,

I'll definitely try and do that. When are you open there Lou?

Quote Originally Posted by bmh1976 View Post
    Cheers,

I'll definitely try and do that. When are you open there Lou?
    My workshop is behind my house so I can open up at any reasonable time on most days. Perhaps it would be best to give me a ring on 4777 8263 to make sure I will be home when you call.

I look forward to meeting you & will do my best to put you on to a fish or two.

Cheers - Lou
    Timber lures - just bung 'em in the water mate & hang on !!!