Thread: Northern Italy Fly Fishing Experience

Northern Italy Fly Fishing Experience

hey, wicked day fly fishing

A lake an hour north of limone in Italy 2000 meters above means sea level called Ruin's Lake, fishing this lake is only for 5 or 6 months of the year as it is frozen over the rest, 6am til noon, and 2pm til 6, 17 euros for a fish limit of 5, rainbow trout, and a few other varities of trout can be caught.

So i thought it would be a good experience and a first to try fly fishing whilst i am in italy (fly home friday),

We set out at 5am headed up the mountains, the weather was windy and freezing, didn;t look to impressive to learn to fly fish, the morning wore on, a few lost flys in the rocks behind us or hook trees, people etc..., about 9 the sun popped up over the mountains the wind had droped and visibilty was good, a few rainbow trout hanging around in the shallows and a few bigger ones hanging around abit further out. after getting the hang of casting and retreiving the day started to get wicked, hooked up two rainbow trout about 35cm with in about 30 mins of each other. our italian friend had hooked a few rainbow and a couple other species of trout, the day rapped up with a horn at noon to stop fishing, and a trip back down the mountain into limone for trout pizza.

A wicked day, some good food, and now i am thinking investing in getting some fly gear back in Aus and have a go.

I willl post some pics back in Aus, can;t see to do it from here, the computer isn;t the best.

Cheers Birchy

Re: Northern Italy Fly Fishing Experience

Just a couple of pics Ruin's Lake 2000 Meters Above sea level, and two trout i caught....

Cheers

Molto bene! Looks like another fly-fisherman is born! Congrats and thanks for posting the pics from your trip. Nice to see another part of the world!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

awesome looking place what are the other species of trout in there

Good day,
    Nice bit of ground. Reminds me of western Coladado in the US.
    Well done with your bowies.Are they self sustaining in Ruins?
    Thanks for the pics its great to view other waters from around the globe
    Cheers
    Reidy

Hey guys, sorry for a late reply been over seas... doing a little more fishing and partying, um the ruins are self sustaining in Italy, in the off peak months whilst frozen over the lake is quiet deep and sustainability is kept up over there months, as the ruin is only open to fish for 3 months of a year.. Over the winter the ruins had mountains of snow over and the valley's, were chockers with snow.. good season,

Birchy

Good work, Nice to hear you had a good time!

Cheers Tom