Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egrell Guides problems

Egrell Guides problems

Hi All,

Has anyone else had problems with their guides on their Egrell’s?
    I have had to replace numerous guides due to breakages, rust and some just going green??? I take good care of my rods and always wash them down after a saltwater session.

I just got sick of replacing the existing guides and I am now replacing all the Guides with Fuji’s.

Ben

Re: Egrell Guides problems

yes, word is Eric is changing the guides on his new rods.
    I spray mine with Lanolin after a session and it has help with the oxidisation

so far I've not had any dramas
    must be lucky.....or more likely because I'm a bit anal about cleaning rods and reels rather fastidiously before putting them in the rack(including drying)....mind you, hasn't stopped my Fugi Alconites on my Raider and Sic Stick Pro's getting a bit of ugly rust forming around the rings where water can sit even after drying with a towel.

Yep Just Checked my S10 and they have gone all green
    Bugger, mite get them all taken off and replaced with some Fuji Guides

Josh

I was told that this issue was due to a bad batch of guides which were on rods made about 12 -18 months ago.

Have had an S1 for a few months and no signs yet. A really good flush with fresh, a proper dry down then a coat of inox is bound to slow any onset of corrosion.

I've had 2 Grells for well over 2 years & another 3 for over 12 months, most are used in the salt at least twice a month and all the runners are fine.
    Cheers

have not any corrosion problems but did have the ceramic ring pop out of one while under pressure with a fish on - braid shreds pretty quick without that ring...

My beloved S4 Bear, which as of this morning is now a 2 piece model, didn't have an issue though I have heard of it before.
    Yes it is true, Eric and Deb will be putting on new guides on the entire range for the 2009 stock. These new guides will be 316 stainless steel, so there is zero chance of any corrosion associated problems. The weight will be equal to or maybe even a fraction lighter than the older models.
    I would be wary of putting anything to radical on a Egrell/Bear, they are quite specific and you wouldn't want to compromise the performance.
    I think, and I will stand corrected, that there might even be a deal going for existing Egrell/Bear owners to have their guides converted over to the new 316 SS type too. Don't take my word for it, better ask Eric or Deb yourselves.
    I don't need new guides on mine, the ceiling fan fixed that problem.
    Tim

Never had any trouble with mine,....like any runners, clean them properly and they will be fine. I have seen a couple of prototype rods with the new runners and they are sweet. looking forward to testing them out.

cheers Steve

yep, mine are off! And I've done my best to look after it...

Maybe a recall eric?

Cheers

rhys

Both mine are fine.
    Fingers crossed...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

It is great that Eric has done something about this issue. Let's see what 2009 holds from the Egrell stable.
    Tim

My S10H guides go green. Happy with the rod aside from that though !

I've just bought a new S10 and am yet to test it. Hopefully no problems are coming.

One of my s10 guides had a cracked frame and was replaced under warranty. 316 should be much better.