Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOL or Alphas???

SOL or Alphas???

hey guys,

just a quick one.. Is the alphas worth the little extra coin when compared to the SOL..?? are there any other options for casting lighter lures in this price range? what would you choose?

drag shouldnt be a issue as it will be used for smaller fresh water species.

thanks in advance
    andy

Re: SOL or Alphas???

i love my alphas to bits. id spend the $$ to get a nother one. is ya useing it in salt water most os the time go with the alphas as its got more of crb's in it, awsome finness baitcaster, smoother than a zillion just not as solid
    figjam :wink:

Check out the new daiwa heartland baitcaster too. Nice reel.

daiwa have got a new alphas R 103.

apparently they are prices about the same as the originals.
    they are even lighter.

review:

Quote Originally Posted by andy86 View Post
    hey guys,

just a quick one.. Is the alphas worth the little extra coin when compared to the SOL..?? are there any other options for casting lighter lures in this price range? what would you choose?

drag shouldnt be a issue as it will be used for smaller fresh water species.

thanks in advance
    andy
    The Aplhas is made in Japan.....the SOL is made isn't. Try as they might to have equivalent quality control across their various manufacturing facilities around the world...the fact remains that the Japs do it best. the Jap built models always feel that bit tighter, smoother and ultimately....better! Do I reckon its worth the coin. for $81 bucks difference....definitely.

Then the Type R is only another $5.

Cheers Roo.

never used a sol but i love my alphas if you have the $$$$$ go for it what else are you going to spend your money on

bron

I also vote the alphas r series i recently got mine nd am very impressed a great bit of baitcaster that oozzess quality...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

droool, i want that handle
    figjam :wink:

thanks for that guys... now to decide between alphas and the r edition...

r edition is one sweet lookng reel. im guessing the handle is a added extra??

No handle is standard lightened spool is standard its about the same as a standard alphas but with the extras ...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I have a 103 and a 103 R edition. I have had the R Edition now for about 6 months and its a great reel.

Both are better than the SOL but if the SOL is at the upper limit of your budget then do yourself a favour and save the extra dollars to buy an alphas.

The 103's are not being made anymore so a good deal might be found if looking for the 103's.

Cheers

Lee

if buying o/s consider the type f...basically a type r without the handle and i'ze spool. lighter and has more bearings than std alphas although no CRBBs just stainless. which is fine anyway if you perform minimal maintainence on your reels

i love my alphas would recommend them to anyone as a step below a steez.

my buddy and i did matching carbontex upgrades on his sol and my aplhas.

interestingly his Sol pulled 15lb of drag pressure straight after the washers were put in.

i know the strength of the drag isn't a priority for you but it is a testament to the overall build of them.

i'd agree with ROO the alphas isn't terribly much more than a sol we're it me i'd save for a couple of extra weeks.

JIm

thanks guys. absolute champs.

i think i might try and get my hands on a r edition... love that handle.... just a couple more weekends off the piss to save for it now.. haha

out of interest jim what drag did your alphas put out after the carbontex upgrade??

Quote Originally Posted by andy86 View Post
    out of interest jim what drag did your alphas put out after the carbontex upgrade??
    same as the sol mate i rechecked it on the weekend . bottomed out my 14lb spring scales.

i know i previously said 15lb but i must have been mistaken coz my scales only go to 14lb.

im also aware this isn't the most accurate way to test a drag but for "before and after" washer upgrades it'll do.

Jim