View Poll Results: What is your favorite spinning (threadline) reel?

Voters
450. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daiwa

180 40.00%
  • Shimano

173 38.44%
  • Okuma

27 6.00%
  • Penn

37 8.22%
  • other

33 7.33%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which reels do you prefer?

Re: Which reels do you prefer?

the problem with this is that it is really a "what is the most common" reel, not what is really perferred, because Shimano is the most Advertised and sold in every shop in the World (almost) it SHOULD win hands down, but it does not make it the preferred one, just the most common.

No Noelm, the Question is "Which reels do 'you prefer?'"
    I have lots of brands of reels and can buy all brands of reels, but I prefer my Shimano!.

The Penn Slammers get my vote. Very tough (which is good when you're hard on your gear like me ) and super smooth drags right out of the box.

Having said that, I've just been given a Daiwa Sol 2500 for Father's Day. It is really a beautiful light smooth bit of kit, but I haven't used it yet, so time will tell.

I have just bought 2 x stradics they seem great. I voted DIAWA only because for years thats all I have bought, and not the good ones but have always seemed to last and run well for a cheapie.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    Its a pretty limited poll, Wheres the rest like Van Staal, abu, Mitchell, Fin-nor, Pflueger, Quantum, Banax, Zeebas, Tica.

My vote goes to other

Cheers Chris
    it may be a limited poll, but over 70% of the votes are for 2 of the five options....if it was 50% other, I would agree with you. Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Timfishin4fun View Post
    I have just bought 2 x stradics they seem great. I voted DIAWA only because for years thats all I have bought, and not the good ones but have always seemed to last and run well for a cheapie.
    Tim
    stradics.... feel great to start, but my brothers didn't last too well, he threw it overboard one day in disgust, we've both always bought daiwa since, my opinion of course

Daiwa's new reels are expensive, so i added up the amount of bucks I've spent in two years on reels that wore out due to lack of bareings. I could have bought one that would still be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    stradics.... feel great to start, but my brothers didn't last too well, he threw it overboard one day in disgust, we've both always bought daiwa since, my opinion of course
    Strangely .... The first time I picked up a Stradic .... I quickly put it back down ..... I was looking for a reel that mates / family might use (If they didn't have bream gear) .. when on my boat ...... bought a Daiwa Caldia in stead ... Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    it may be a limited poll, but over 70% of the votes are for 2 of the five options....if it was 50% other, I would agree with you. Sean
    Shimano and daiwa have a huge market share, and do produce some great reels. I'm sure there marketing also helps. But there are other great spinning reels out that people do not buy or aren't exposed to because they aren't made by the big 2 manufactures unfortunately.

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    Shimano and daiwa have a huge market share, and do produce some great reels. I'm sure there marketing also helps. But there are other great spinning reels out that people do not buy or aren't exposed to because they aren't made by the big 2 manufactures unfortunately.

Cheers Chris
    Chris ... & they are ? ...... Lets face it for the better quality reels Daiwa & Shimano are it ..... Penn Spinfishers & Mitchells have had their day , Okuma .... not too many rave about them , Fin nor great reputation for game reels ... Spin though , Pflueger / Penn .. Maybe in the lower to mid end , ABUs .. not in spin , Banax ? , Tica ... maybe for a couple of years use only ....... And Van Staal .... Who has seen one , used one & how many have been sold in Aust , Limited range .... Plus expensive .... Nagg

If your talking high end spinning shimano and diawa stuff their is little competition from most manufactures. Though van staal and zeebas probably make a better reel for the money and if i was going to spend that sort of money I would seriously consider them. In the mid to lower range there is plenty of stuff that matches shimano and diawa. For high speed spinning gear I usually reach for my okuma epix I think its better then my tss4. Pflueger don't make a bad spin reel either i have a supreme spin i have recently purchased and its a great little reel. I had a tica for a few years as well and it was pretty good too, I actually lost it last week over the side unfortunately . I did have to service it pretty regularly but it held up better then a shimano that i purchased about the same time. I have also been playing around with a quantum the last few weeks and really quiet like it, so much so i have ordered another. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of shimano and diawa stuff and there great reels but I think some other great less know/marketed manufactures that make some good stuff, you might be surprised by some of the other brands offering.

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by bayfisher; 20-09-2007 at 01:24 PM.

I'm sure there is a few people that wont agree that spinfishers have had their day. For big cheap spinning reels your unlikely to find much better.

Cheers Chris

which relgion are we argueing about again?? same old story, i prefer shimano coz our family has had them for years and every single one is still working fine, so we've had no problems and ill continue to use them for that fact, i also prefer them because they have a reel for everyone for every use and budget, personally i think you have to spend alot more money to get a real as good as a shimano, my gf brought a slade 2500 for her first setup, for $50, lays braid perfect, line release is great with 8lb fireline, its smooth and has a 10 year warranty, and on the other end of the scale most of australias industry figures use shimano so they must be doing something good. i just feel shimano has designed their range a bit better to our conditions.

im a bit of a weird one i like the some shimano and daiwa spinning reels such as daiwa airity luvias or shimano sephia or sustain and with baitcasters i like shimano chronarchs and daiwa alphas hahahha i likle both eqaul except daiwa look better

Voted Penn due to price and if the reel has not been around for at least 10years without a bad word against it (smoothnes doesn't rate) I am not interested.

I also own a penn applause 4000 which was released only a couple of years ago nice little reel for the price and more than the price but time will tell if they are still considered a good reliable reel in 10 years time.

cheers fnq