View Poll Results: What is your favorite spinning (threadline) reel?

Voters
450. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daiwa

180 40.00%
  • Shimano

173 38.44%
  • Okuma

27 6.00%
  • Penn

37 8.22%
  • other

33 7.33%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which reels do you prefer?

Re: Which reels do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    which relgion are we argueing about again?? same old story, i prefer shimano coz our family has had them for years and every single one is still working fine, so we've had no problems and ill continue to use them for that fact, i also prefer them because they have a reel for everyone for every use and budget, personally i think you have to spend alot more money to get a real as good as a shimano, my gf brought a slade 2500 for her first setup, for $50, lays braid perfect, line release is great with 8lb fireline, its smooth and has a 10 year warranty, and on the other end of the scale most of australias industry figures use shimano so they must be doing something good. i just feel shimano has designed their range a bit better to our conditions.
    B_E_N ..... Maybe its because Mr Dunphy has deep pockets & a high marketing budget ..... More than the rest ... by far ! ..... Not that I would complain about having their best products thrust in my hand ... some $$$ maybe .... Just for a few pics & being asked to say a few kind words .... Nagg
    PS ..... Nothing like seeing a sponsored personality who also has their own range of rods under the very same label ....... armed to the teeth with Millerods Did I give too much away ... Cheers

Big French and US spinners for the beach and rocks, Daiwa Sealines for inshore.
    The big Mitchell and Bretton spinners are strong and simple, Spinfishers are smooth, strong with good drags.
    Sealines take some beating for inshore conventionals, strong as and reliable.
    Oh, the GS9 is another monster I use, off the rocks with 15kg mono. Damn strong!
    Cheers.

I'v always been big on shimano gear especially the stradics but since i bought a diawa sol from member on the chew there is no turning back for me it seems a much better product as far as spinning reels go ,i will definately be looking at more diawa gear in the spin series at least .....matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I'v always been big on shimano gear especially the stradics but since i bought a diawa sol from member on the chew there is no turning back for me it seems a much better product as far as spinning reels go ,i will definately be looking at more diawa gear in the spin series at least .....matt
    good for you!!! I actually think this is quite funny, I love daiwa , it will be near impossible to ever convince me to buy a shimano again . And I know this is narrow minded, but I think the others must be wrong ....ok...ok....i said it. Weird hey !!

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    I'm sure there is a few people that wont agree that spinfishers have had their day. For big cheap spinning reels your unlikely to find much better.

Cheers Chris
    Chris .... No doubt you're right (as there are those that would say that an Alvey is the best reel ever made ) .... What I found over the years is that comments like this are usually made by someone who has not used some of the other gear around! ..... 10-15 years ago a big spinfisher was the top of the tree for High speed spinning for big pelagics .... just like a Seascape was the OH equivalent ..... Today these would hardly rate ! .......... I will concede to you that $$$ wise (cheap) They are a good buy:smiley: .... Nagg

The Daiwa and Shimano fanboys always give me a laugh. There are plenty of other options in all price ranges that catch just as many,if not more fish.Leave the my brand is better than your brand crap for the Ford and Holden brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by spinyeel View Post
    The Daiwa and Shimano fanboys always give me a laugh. There are plenty of other options in all price ranges that catch just as many,if not more fish.Leave the my brand is better than your brand crap for the Ford and Holden brigade.
    As Pauline would say .." PLEASE EXPLAIN !" .... specially the "if not more fish" Nagg

Accurate,Avet,Abu,Alvey,Okuma,Tica,Van Staal,Zeebass,Pflueger,Mitchell,Quantum,Penn.A cross section of reels for any situation.Most don't spend zillions on advertising,but there are some great quality reels produced by all the above companies,along with some cheaper Asian built reels for the non hardcore angler.My point was that if the big 2 went belly up tomorrow you would still be able to buy decent reels,and you will still catch as many fish.

love my twinpower 2500. the drag noise is swwet music too my ears

dawia for spin and shimano for baitcasters.
    as for overheads i will just have to see when i get my daiwa saltiga

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    I'm sure there is a few people that wont agree that spinfishers have had their day. For big cheap spinning reels your unlikely to find much better.

Cheers Chris
    how about a shimano stradic 8000 for $165
    i have used penn and didnt like them.
    i dont trust anything from javis walker
    Last edited by breamnut; 23-09-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    how about a shimano stradic 8000 for $165
    i have used penn and didnt like them.
    i dont trust anything from javis walker
    At that price the older FI stradics a good buy, but the price on the new FH stradics .

i hate the stradic 1000 but the bigger ones are good for $165
    i have seen the new 4000 stradic more expensive then a 4000 twin power

I own both shimano and daiwa....
    Both make awesome reels......For light finesse plastic fishing I am a big fan of Daiwas for smoothness of drags and less play in handles etc....
    My offshore gear comprises of nearly all Shimano gear from baitrunners to TLDs....

However.....LONG LIVE the alveys for beach fishing....I cant use anything but an alvey on the beach.

Pete

At this point of time , the results while a little surprising (more shimanos would be sold in OZ) .... are where I thought they should be ... Nagg