Thread: Whitsundays

Talking Whitsundays

Going to the Whitsundays Saturday want to do a bit of
    land based fishing for Mackeral,Tuna,Queenfish & Trevally.I am New
    at the sport just after information on a few spots to fish.
    I will be fishing with poppers & slugs.Send a PM if it suits.Thanks

Re: Whitsundays

I lived in airlie beach for 7 months last year and had a ball fishin off shore with plenty of doggies, spaniards and bonito to play with. I suggest for land fishing to head a little further south of airlie beach to a place called conway beach. the fishing there is spectacular and has a nice sand bar at the mouth of the proserpine river that is ideal for popper and spoon fishing, i do warn you though be very careful of the snappy green bastards. (crocs) its one of the most infested rivers in queensland and spotting them is not hard.
    Ask any local about conway and they'll guide ya in the right direction. If you need more advice on the area the guys at whitsunday bait and tackle on shute harbour road, cannonvale, airlie beach, next to the BP (there is only one BP in airlie) are pretty friendly blokes, chat to them. Good luck Champ
    Last edited by Tight line timmy; 21-09-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks Tight Line Timmy i am not sure weather i would be brave enough
    to be fishing in one direction and looking for crocs in another direction.
    But i will call into the bait shop at cannonvale.

Take poppers,slugs and plastics mate.
    If you dont want to load yourself up with to many lures just take squidgie slick rigs as they come rigged ready to go and work VERY well up there.
    They catch everything from trout,reds,queenies and trevally.
    Take some big poppers for trevally like the Halco roosta pops.....Be warned though there are some ENORMOUS GT's up there and trying to stop them land based is a serious challenge....Fish heavy gear.
    Also do a check on your Green zones mate.....There are plenty up there now.

Pete