View Poll Results: What is the hardest fighting estuary fish?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bream

22 8.91%
  • Cod

13 5.26%
  • Mangrove Jack

162 65.59%
  • Flathead

10 4.05%
  • Bass

13 5.26%
  • Threadfin Salmon

27 10.93%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Hardest fighting estuary fish for there size

Re: Hardest fighting estuary fish for there size

In Sydney there is only one,and it's not on the list,it grows to 70cm @ 5kg,has a leatherlike skin surfaced with sandpaper and coated in poison slime (like a Happy Moment).Numerous sharp spines,a deep musculer body,a small jaw jammed full of sharp teeth (think of the monster from Alien) that can & does bite through quality 25lb mono and Razor sharp scutes on it's tail also capable of cutting straight through heavy mono
    I know many fisho's who have accidentally hooked this fish,and ended with lost tackle ,rods, reels,etc,and line cut fingers from using braid.They mostly have NO idea what it is they have hooked as these fish are just about never caught over 50cm in size. I have been lucky enough to land a few to 55cm on Yellowtail Kingfish tackle and they would pull a king backwards ,through a carwash, over a short distance.They are dirtier fighters than even kings,and head staight for structure with unbelievable force (seen rods snapped in two)when hooked.Their name ? Commonly called Sawtail Surgeonfish after the 'scalples' on thier tails......
    Last edited by kingyfisher; 06-06-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Oh and I left out the two good things..... They taste like heaven,beautiful white delicate delicious fillets(the pro's don't target them cause they ruin nets and can't be handled !) and they are numerous and you only need bread for bait !

Big Grunter will tow the same size Jack backwards after the jacks first big run.
    caught some in the Burrum up to 65cm on 4kg and they were really strong fish.

Bone fish for me. They go pretty hard and go a lot harder than fish mentioned for poll.

Adds..